How Determine if Edison Triumph is 2 or 4 Minute?

rkruz3

I have an Edison Triumph s/n 63901 with model C reproducter.  Did they just make 2 minute models or are all 2/4 minute?  If 4 minutes, I dont see a way to change the speed.

Thanks

Post a picture of your Triumph and we'll tell you if it's straight 2-minute or 2/4-minute.

Until October 1908, all Edison Phonographs were 2-minute machines.  From October 1908, most Edisons were 2/4-minute.  After 1911, Edison cylinder Phonographs were 4-minute.  However, Edison provided 2/4-minute kits (called "Amberol Attachments") to convert earlier machines, so post that picture...

George P.

THank you for the help.  Here are some pics.

20230603_104958.thumb.jpg.3260a6cf1c48057cb30fc2b0602dd24b.jpg

Thank20230603_104944.thumb.jpg.8bc3966d90677e5b5c9274198dcda1eb.jpg you.  Her220230603_104846.thumb.jpg.cf201e32d83f93f562e7334352cbaccf.jpge are a few pics.820230603_105013.thumb.jpg.69784359686d2ac7383b54e7c0bfda82.jpg

20230603_104958.jpg

Your Triumph retains its original 2-minute configuration.  The Model C Reproducer is appropriate for the machine - and was what was originally supplied.

Triumphs aren't as easy to date as other Edison models of this period, but yours happens to be close to a known production benchmark, so I can confidently put its shipping date as September/October 1907.  Check the bottom of the cabinet at the left front.  If there is a metal sleeve screwed in place (or the 4 holes where it was), this Triumph likely dates from October, since Edison began supplying large horns and cranes with its Phonographs as of October 1.

George P.

1 hour ago, phonogfp said:

Your Triumph retains its original 2-minute configuration.  The Model C Reproducer is appropriate for the machine - and was what was originally supplied.

Triumphs aren't as easy to date as other Edison models of this period, but yours happens to be close to a known production benchmark, so I can confidently put its shipping date as September/October 1907.  Check the bottom of the cabinet at the left front.  If there is a metal sleeve screwed in place (or the 4 holes where it was), this Triumph likely dates from October, since Edison began supplying large horns and cranes with its Phonographs as of October 1.

George P.

Thanks so much, George. You are an Edison encyclopedia!  It's wonderful to know this phonograph is original.  There is no plate or holes for a horn crane.  It plays well and runs for a long time on one winding, so Im betting it would get close to playing claimed 16 cylinders on one winding.  The case is in great shape.  I love the look of quarter-sawn oak. I got lucky to find such a nice one.

Thanks again for being so generous with your time!

Looks like you got a very nice example Rkruz.  The striping is very clean, unlike many.  Congratulations!

4 hours ago, rkruz3 said:

Thanks so much, George. You are an Edison encyclopedia!  It's wonderful to know this phonograph is original.  There is no plate or holes for a horn crane.  It plays well and runs for a long time on one winding, so Im betting it would get close to playing claimed 16 cylinders on one winding.  The case is in great shape.  I love the look of quarter-sawn oak. I got lucky to find such a nice one.

Thanks again for being so generous with your time!

You're very welcome.  As Bruce points out, your Triumph is a beauty!

George P.

1 hour ago, Valecnik said:

Looks like you got a very nice example Rkruz.  The striping is very clean, unlike many.  Congratulations!

Thank you for the phono compliment.   The horn is beatup and because of that I think was not original to the machine.  It lets the rest of the phono down for sure.