I think I got a deal…

Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

I bought my first Caruso today, at a little record store in mid-coast Maine. It’s a 12” one-sider, and I believe it was released in 1913. It cost me five bucks, which my internet research indicates was a low price. Of course, I’ll know more on that when I get it home on my Victor II and see how it sounds…

C67784DA-B198-4A71-8A35-7D56854CFF39.jpeg

Edited by Chrisingramci
  • Like 3

Congrats on the find. I have noted a certain cache given to Caruso records but in my experience they are anything but rare. I know some rare recordings do exist out there but I am neither fan nor expert enough to tell you what they are. Still, good record by an excellent singer. Try finding a copy of him singing the WWI song, "Over There", he does it in English and I think its a hoot.

Chrisingramci

Yes, I’ve learned I probably could’ve gotten it for considerably less.. But that’s all right; I’m just starting my collection, and a Caruso, even a non-opera example, is something I wanted to check out. No great loss, financially. I’ll keep an eye out for that record!

Edited by Chrisingramci

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Chrisingramci

Sorry, I can't find the button to delete the previous link. here's the real deal (I hope)

Edited by Chrisingramci

Tinfoilphono

Back when I used to own an Auxetophone I loved to play this record for visitors. The volume of his strongest passages would blow people away!

auxwood.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 3:40 AM, Chrisingramci said:

I found “Over There.” Can’t wait to get it!

Nice! That one doesn't show up every day.

MisterJive47

You didn't overpay. A "Patent Dog" style label is an earlier pressing, which most enthusiasts would seek out when buying an artist as popular as Caruso (similar to how you would want a first pressing of Hound Dog by Elvis on 78, as opposed to a 1980s 45rpm reissue)

Some of Caruso's original pressing stampers were used into the 1940s, by which point they were worn out.

I've got both Celeste Aida and Pagliacci "Vesti La Giubba" on the early pressings and they will positively blast you out of the room, even with a soft tone needle. They never fail to impress even the greatest skeptics of mechanical sound reproduction when demonstrated. 

• Like 1