Black bottom Stomp - Jelly Roll Morton: 1925

nippers_lounge

The perfect New Orleans jazz piece! It's got everything--march form with trio, phrase extensions, GREAT solos, primal jazz energy and drive---this is the one! Recorded in Chicago,  9/15/26.  There's a reason why this recording is included in the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz set.

Thanks for posting!

(BTW, the wiki entry on this piece contains several inaccuracies. The structure is not blues-based (it's march form with trio in the subdominant), there is no "stop-time" (confusion with break), no "semibreve phrases" (whatever that is?). George Mitchell is playing cornet, not trumpet (and he's just terrific!).

Simeon (clarinet), Ory (trombone), St. Cyr (banjo), Hilaire (drums), Lindsay (bass), and of course Morton himself, were all natives of New Orleans or thereabouts. 

Edited by Henry

nippers_lounge

Sorry, i was just looking for information and just copied what was there!  I figured it would be correct!  As trying to find information on a pice of music from 90 years ago is challenging!  Besides, Wikipedia is just the easiest place to find information. Since it pops up at the top of a Google search! 

No criticism intended! I'm just glad you posted the piece---thanks again! 

For many years I taught a History of Jazz course at the college level, so you'll appreciate the "curse of scholarship"  (as one of my grad school profs called it) in my remarks. 

I erred in stating that there is no stop time in BB Stomp. It's present behind Mitchell's cornet solo in the trio.

nippers_lounge

Thank you, and You’re Welcome!  

I have more of an appreciation of black jazz musicians, since they are the originators of the genre.  Plus, I feel they don’t get as much recognition as the white jazz musicians.  

16 hours ago, nippers_lounge said:

I have more of an appreciation of black jazz musicians, since they are the originators of the genre.  Plus, I feel they don’t get as much recognition as the white jazz musicians.  

Amen to that! Oliver, Morton, Armstrong, and all of those first- and second-generation New Orleans jazz pioneers are the true progentitors of the style.  

• Like 1