Need help identifying this machine

Dan

Maybe someone can help me identify this portable phonograph, the tag says Bergman Phonograph Co  Portland Oregon, under the turntable it says Okeh. See pictures any help would be greatly appreciated . 
Dan

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_3760.jpeg

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3762.jpeg

Roaring20s

All I could find on the internet was this 1925 ad in a program.

May have been a small business?

James.

Bergman 1925 ad.png

Edited by Roaring20s
  • Like 1

My guess is that the machine is an OKEH brand phonograph, sold by Bergman who was a dealer/distributor.  The Meisselbach motor made by A F Meisselbach & Bro, Newark, NJ is a good quality generic motor used by many off-brand manufacturers to facilitate their production, without having to design and produce motors for specific machines.  Meisselbach eventually merged with Otto Heinemann, who also supplied generic motors and parts to the industry.

OKEH was a record and phonograph manufacturer founded by the Otto Heinemann Phonograph Corporation, a phonograph supplier/manufacturer established in 1916.  The name was spelled "OkeH" from the initials of Otto K. E. Heinemann but later changed to "OKeh".

• Like 3

Good afternoon everyone, while I was cleaning this I noticed that the soundbox looks like it has two different positions it can be put in . Where it connects to tone there are two small concave spots , the soundbox has a screw with a spring and ball bearing that sits in the concave spot. Does anyone know why there are two different positions for soundbox?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

Good afternoon everyone, while I was cleaning this I noticed that the soundbox looks like it has two different positions it can be put in . Where it connects to tone there are two small concave spots , the soundbox has a screw with a spring and ball bearing that sits in the concave spot. Does anyone know why there are two different positions for soundbox?

Many machines from the 'teens had sound boxes which could be positioned to play lateral-cut discs (with steel needles) and vertical-cut discs (with jewel styli).  Your machine may well have that feature.

George P.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Many machines from the 'teens had sound boxes which could be positioned to play lateral-cut discs (with steel needles) and vertical-cut discs (with jewel styli).  Your machine may well have that feature.

George P.

Oh ok that would sense? When I finish working on it , I’ll try one of each. Thanks again 

George

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, Dan said:

Oh ok that would sense? When I finish working on it , I’ll try one of each. Thanks again 

George

You are right George I was able to play 78rpm in  one position and Edison disc and Pathe in the other position with different needles for each . Thanks again

MisterJive47

Remember also that Okeh was originally vertical cut, similar to other brands such as Paramount before they were able to switch to lateral. That being the case, it would make sense for them to have offered both positions on the soundbox if this were produced by them early on.