Newbie Question re: Felt

Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

Howdy, all; I'd like to get new felt for my Victor II, but I've encountered an "issue" that makes me uncertain about what to do with what I assume is the original. When I try to lift the existing felt from the turntable, it feels as if I'm tearing it off; like it's glued on. Is this simply a function of +-113-years of being there, or is it meant to remain, with the new felt placed on top of it? I hesitate to tear it off until I hear from you. Also, could anyone tell me what the period-correct felt color would be? This machine has a "B" suffix, and thus was built between 1910 and 1915.

Thanks!

Chris

IMG_0484.thumb.jpeg.8e375509da5d199d556c9715c8aa805e.jpeg

Edited by Chrisingramci

Hi Chris,

The correct color of your turntable felt is the olive green which still comprises most of the original felt on your machine.  These original felts were glued on.

That said, I wouldn't replace that one.  Many, many, many Victors and other external-horn machines have had their original felts (sometimes in good condition like yours) replaced.  Finding original turntable felt on an external-horn machine is becoming more difficult, and as a collector who appreciates the ephemeral elements of a century-old phonograph, I value original felts, even if in less-than-pristine condition.  As a collector of over 55 years, new turntable felt is is a significant deterrent for me when considering a machine.  A replaced felt can usually be detected across a room.  I have a couple of boxes of old turntables, and when necessary I'll rob one of its felt if it's the correct color I need to put a machine back to its age-appropriate appearance.

Some collectors have had great results using Woolite to clean original felts in place on their turntables.  I've never tried it, but it makes sense. 

Your Victor II is at least 108 years old, and some signs of age (especially with wool felt) are to be expected...and perhaps respected. 

Best of luck with whichever course you pursue.

George P.

• Like 2

Chrisingramci

Hello, George;

I really appreciate your advice. To be honest, the felt is still performing its function, and I fear I was considering replacement for no better reason than that I could. I now appreciate its age-related hue for what it is: well-earned patina. I think I'll leave it be.

Thanks, again.

Chris

• Like 2

Roaring20s

Having the original felt is a desirable thing for sure. If you do not like the way it displays along side other fine things, you can do the following. I have glued a new felt to a thin ridged cardboard, cut it to the size of the platter with a spindle hole. It lays flat and looks nice. I have done this when I sold a phonograph to a new collector. They liked having both.

James.

• Like 3

Chrisingramci

Thank you, James;

I appreciate your solution, and see its value. But with a machine so original, with a very strong provenance, I am sure the right thing is to leave it as-is..

Gratefully, 

Chris

Edited by Chrisingramci

6 hours ago, Roaring20s said:

Having the original felt is a desirable thing for sure. If you do not like the way it displays along side other fine things, you can do the following. I have glued a new felt to a thin ridged cardboard, cut it to the size of the platter with a spindle hole. It lays flat and looks nice. I have done this when I sold a phonograph to a new collector. They liked having both.

James.

I definitely agree with what the others have said Chris.  I would not replace the felt.  James' idea is also a good one if you, or your partner, prefer the "cleaner" look of the new felt.  In a few cases I've purchased those excellent new pre-cut felts on eBAY from Walt Sommers, "Cyber Tyger" or others and just laid it right over the old one, unglued.  They stay nice and flat and have the added feature of protecting the original felt from accumulation of additional dust.    Good move asking before  just tearing off the old felt.

Some years back I was on the verge of buying a Columbia BH.  Looked just great with nickel horn and of course nice original felt.  As I was about to close the deal the seller sent me some more pictures.  He'd done me a "favor" by putting on new felt at no extra charge.   The original was completely destroyed during the removal process.  That was the end of that transaction...🤨

• Like 1

Tinfoilphono

Just adding another vote of approval for saving the original. That looks quite nice. As noted, you can protect the original with a new felt simply laid on top, or just put a record on it to protect the felt from dust and fading. That's the option I prefer.

• Like 1

Just an additional note:  Don't use soap and water to clean the felt, as it will shrink when it dries...  I found this out the hard way.

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 1

Chrisingramci

Thank you, all, for your help. I simply gave it a gentle brushing with a very soft-bristled brush and left it at that. I'm enjoying this machine more each day! Interestingly, for all the years I've seen it, the platter always held a record upon it (my dad was a radio deejay, so it was appropriate that the record was, "Mr. Disk Jockey," by Blue Barron and his Orchestra - even if it was an inappropriate-era record for this machine!), and still the felt has faded fairly substantially.

Thanks again for the very useful input.

Chris