Ordered Myself Some Singer Sewing Machine Oil and Vaseline and Lubricated My Victor II

Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

Please pardon my exuberance as I share a couple of pictures of my Victor II's innards. It was surprisingly clean inside, considering it hadn't been opened in at least thirty years (and fairly likely much longer). I followed the instructions on the sheet glued to the inside of the unit.

I must admit, it took me a while to understand what the diagram referred to as the "friction leathers." The photos I took helped me in that regard, and I located it (I hope) in the upper left of pic #2, at the end of the speed control arm. 

I apologize if this is all a bit of a bore to the veterans here. I'm just enjoying this so much, I felt the need to share!

IMG_0478.thumb.jpeg.088b50eceadff209017103ddd2c00bc6.jpegIMG_0479.thumb.jpeg.bccd3397f7d3f7a6c8e0fb84e23a5448.jpeg

Edited by Chrisingramci
  • Like 1

That's a very nice and clean motor. You correctly identified the friction leather which always needs to be properly lubricated to keep the speed constant by limiting the friction disc of the governor. Don't feel bad or apologize about showing your passion and excitement, that's what brought is all to this wonderful hobby. It's great to see a new collector experiencing the same.

Andreas

• Like 2

Nice job! I wish mine had been that clean when I got it. Under the turntable and inside the case was full of mud dauber nests

That is indeed a clean motor!  Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you have properly lubricated it.

When your Victor II was built, Vaseline was the best lubricant for the heavy gears, but lubricants have come a long way since then.  The next time you  service the motor, try a modern grease such as Super Lube synthetic or other similar PTFE-infused product.  Unlike Vaseline (which will dry out in 3-5 years), a modern grease should last for decades.  Use your Singer sewing machine oil on the lighter gears, bearings, and friction pads.

Here's one of the free articles on the APS website which you may find helpful:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collectiondetails/16

Congratulations on a job well done!

George P.

• Like 1

Chrisingramci

Thanks, again, George, for your valuable advice. I will dispense with the vaseline forthwith!

The Victor II is one of my favorites, mainly because it is esthetically pleasing and proportionate (if that matters).  I was just as excited when I got mine and I'm sure it will continue to give you pleasure, both listening to and looking at it.  This is a fun hobby and I'm glad you discovered it.

Curt

• Like 1