How do I replace spring in bullet brake?

alang

Working on a Victor IV that has gone through a hillbilly restoration. One problem I have is that the spring in the bullet brake is very weak and doesn’t work anymore. I thought this had been discussed before but can’t find it. Can this spring be replaced and if yes, how? I cannot find a way to remove the inner cylinder. The little knob that stops it from going too far forward doesn’t come out. I can turn it but it doesn’t unscrew. I cannot pull it out and wanted to check with the experts here before I use too much force. Any advice?

Thanks 
Andreas

IMG_0971.jpeg

• alang changed the title to How do I replace spring in bullet brake?
Cranks-n-Horns417

Hi Andreas, I see no one has responded to your question yet. I have no idea how to fix it but maybe it's a component that can be easily replaced as a whole? There are numerous people here as well as online that sell new & used parts.  Maybe if you post this under "wanted" more people will see it? Erich

Andreas, I have never disassembled a bullet brake, but I suspect the answer has to do with the small pin on the underside.  If someone assembled it, it can be  disassembled.  It appears that the small pin/screw is there to keep the "bolt" from coming out of the barrel, while allowing it to slide freely to a limit.  The spring is most likely coiled around the bolt, inside the barrel.  To simply explain,  the brake works similar to a barrel bolt lock, but  with a spring inside to activate the bolt when released.

Regarding the option of finding a replacement, it's possible but not likely.  The last one I saw for sale (actually the only one) was very expensive.  Since you have the entire brake, it would be easier to replace the spring.  If you can't remove the pin, you could drill it out and replace the pin.  Don't remove the larger knob on the bolt, as it is not holding the bolt in the barrel...

Bulletbrake.png.98a94147def6a0ddc5c2451552205ef7.pngScreenshot2023-05-16at2_15_22PM.png.fb59cab0b1ceb709082d6a346b1f1bd4.png

• Like 1

Will have to wait a couple of weeks for different reasons. I will definitely report back if/when/how I get it fixed.

Thanks again

Andreas

Sorry, I haven’t been on here for a while.  The larger pin on the underside, (the one that the lever pushes against), needs to be removed.  If you have a lathe available, you can grip the pin in a .1875” collet.  If not, then you should be able to carefully pry it out by running a small flat bladed screw driver beneath the shoulder of the pin, (be gentle and work it evenly from both sides).  It does come out, but they can be a bit stubborn.  I dismantled this brake just now to be sure that I am providing accurate advice.  

Using two blades at the same time works best.  Chances are good that the spring is fine but the parts need a good clean and polish.  Good luck.  

DF16AC84-C47E-4EB4-935F-3ED0FB8C2B28.jpeg

Edited by Django
  • Like 3

Wow, Django, that is excellent to see the dismantled brake with all its components! That gives me a lot more confidence!

Thank you so much!

Andreas

If the problem is just dirt and grime you might want to try soaking it overnight in simple green or any cleaner of your choice and blow it out with air pressure. I'd also try some penetrating oil like Mouse Milk to see if you can get things sliding around as they should either before or after cleaning. I agree that chances are the spring is still good, just all mucked up with decades of gunk and dried oil.

Edited by ken53092
left out a key word

On 5/23/2023 at 4:48 PM, alang said:

Wow, Django, that is excellent to see the dismantled brake with all its components! That gives me a lot more confidence!

Thank you so much!

Andreas

Any luck with that brake, Andreas?  

Thanks for this info, Django...  very helpful.

Sorry Andreas for leading you in the wrong direction (I told you I had never disassembled one before).  Djangos pictures are great, since it is now obvious how the brake works and I thought that the large knob was only to move the bolt...

I'm sorry, traveling for work and no time yet to work on it. I will report back, promised.

Thank you all so much for the great advice!

Andreas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the long silence. I went through several cycles of freezer and then heat, but that stupid pin did not move. In the end, the flat head of the pin started breaking, so I removed that completely which allowed me to remove the little sleeve and properly grab the remaining pin with locking pliers. Then I finally managed to get it out. The spring seemed not as much tired, but very short. Maybe a piece of it broke off and fell out at some point? Anyway, I had the proper size compression spring from an assortment I bought at Harbor Freight some time ago. I used a nail of the appropriate thickness to create a replacement pin and now it's working again as it should. Hope the pictures will help if someone else runs into the same issue.

Thanks again to Django and all others who provided help and support!

Andreas

IMG_1017.JPEG

IMG_1031.JPEG

IMG_1032.JPEG

• Like 3

On 6/24/2023 at 5:49 PM, alang said:

Sorry about the long silence. I went through several cycles of freezer and then heat, but that stupid pin did not move. In the end, the flat head of the pin started breaking, so I removed that completely which allowed me to remove the little sleeve and properly grab the remaining pin with locking pliers. Then I finally managed to get it out. The spring seemed not as much tired, but very short. Maybe a piece of it broke off and fell out at some point? Anyway, I had the proper size compression spring from an assortment I bought at Harbor Freight some time ago. I used a nail of the appropriate thickness to create a replacement pin and now it's working again as it should. Hope the pictures will help if someone else runs into the same issue.

Thanks again to Django and all others who provided help and support!

Andreas

IMG_1017.JPEG

IMG_1031.JPEG

IMG_1032.JPEG

You’re welcome and nice innovation.  I’m glad that it worked out.

• Like 1