Chrisingramci

Chrisingramci

Hello all, and thank you for admittance.

I'm learning a great deal already and look forward to mining the wealth of information here.

I recently took possession of a 1910 Victor II, which has been in my family for over 60-years.

Image 5-10-23 at 1.15 PM.jpg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0444.jpeg

• Like 1

Congratulations - especially on owning an early talking machine from your family.  Some of us have been collecting for over 50 years, with large collections, but acquiring a family machine is not something a person can simply look for and buy.  Once they're gone, they're gone, and even if they still exist somewhere, the chain of provenance is almost always broken.

Enjoy!

George P.

Chrisingramci

Thank you, George;

I've been fascinated by this player since early childhood when it was kept in my father's den. I have the added pleasure of owning several records featuring a large orchestra in which my grandfather, Johnny Ingram, played numerous instruments. He's the fellow in the tuxedo in the picture on the table to the left of the phonograph.

Edited by Chrisingramci

Very nice!  You may already be aware, but if those records date from the late 1930s or newer, you really shouldn't play them on your Victor II, as the later records weren't designed to withstand the rigors of steel needles and heavy sound boxes.

My dad had an orchestra until early 1942 ("Johnnie Paul & His Orchestra"), but unfortunately they never made any records.  Dad was also the drummer, which no doubt was a major influence for Phil Collins. 

When dad was a kid in the 20s/30s, they had a Brunswick, but he didn't know what happened to it. 

JohnniePaul.thumb.jpg.4a7312c369912459e0bcab311a30fd4b.jpg

• Like 1

Chrisingramci

Yes, and thank you, I have learned not to use pre-1925, electrical recording on my Victor II. Grandpa played in recordings on both acoustic and electric recordings. Unfortunately, most of the records I have of his work are '30s and '40s-era. Would an orthographic reproducer enable me to play the newer ones? Great picture of your father, by the way!

Edited by Chrisingramci

An Orthophonic sound box will not be as kind to 30s-40s records as a lightweight tone arm/cartridge.  Many of us have acquired old school phonographs from the 60s-70s to play delicate/more valuable records.  Newcomb and Califone in particular made good products - some with variable-speed turntables which comes in very handy for early discs.

George P.

• Like 1

Cranks-n-Horns417

Hi Chris! I just joined APS a few weeks ago myself. I too have no inherited phonographs. So anyway...a friendly Welcome to you from Springfield, Missouri!

Edited by Cranks-n-Horns417
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, Chrisingramci said:

Hello all, and thank you for admittance.

I'm learning a great deal already and look forward to mining the wealth of information here.

I recently took possession of a 1910 Victor II, which has been in my family for over 60-years.

I have been lucky enough to own 3 family machines over the years and I still have two. I have a Victor II just like yours, great machine and congratulations.

Chrisingramci

Thank you all for your welcoming kindness. It really is a pleasure to have found this community!