The Antique Phonograph Society Group on Facebook

audiophile102

audiophile102

This forum is my favorite of the big three, but it gets significantly less traffic than the other two.   The problems with the TMF has been discussed and it's pointless to mention it further.   Let me first say that I don't like Facebook, because of their business practice of selling users data and selling advertising space to our country's adversaries.   I access the Antique Phonograph Society Group on Facebook through my wife's account.  I feel shame each time I do it. I'm both encouraged and chagrined when I see the number of postings on the Facebook page.  I wonder if there is a way to get more of the Facebook traffic redirected to this site?    I know that the APS promotes it's self on the Facebook forum, but can more be done to make this site the premiere Antique Phonograph forum?

• Like 1

One possibility could be FB postings with a back-reference to APS Forum topics.

As an example:

There was a recent thread on APS Forum:

“Comparing the Barraud and Thompson copies of ‘His Master Voice’ oil painting"

“After Frances Barraud painted the famous ‘His Masters Voice’ oil on canvas painting in 1899. He was later commissioned by The Gramophone Company of Europe and the Victor Company of America to produce 24 exact copies of his iconic painting for display in various headquarters and for various VIP’s in America and Europe.”

which can viewed via the following link:

Comparing the Barraud and Thompson Copies

• Like 1

That's an excellent suggestion, Rod.  As you know, I often include a link to this forum in the "On This Day..." postings when there's additional information posted here.

Still, we must keep in mind that Facebook fulfills the desires of many to simply interact with less emphasis on learning. 

George P.

I follow your suggestion too RodPickett.  Everytime I see one of those posts in one of the  Facebook groups saying, "My Phono got destroyed by USPS during shipping", I respond by telling them it's poor packing that's the issue and provide this link...

• Like 2

Bruce, thanks for the reminder of your outstanding tutorial.  Hopefully I'll remember it and post a link next time I see one of those posts!

George P.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:02 AM, audiophile102 said:

This forum is my favorite of the big three, but it gets significantly less traffic than the other two.   The problems with the TMF has been discussed and it's pointless to mention it further.   Let me first say that I don't like Facebook, because of their business practice of selling users data and selling advertising space to our country's adversaries.   I access the Antique Phonograph Society Group on Facebook through my wife's account.  I feel shame each time I do it. I'm both encouraged and chagrined when I see the number of postings on the Facebook page.  I wonder if there is a way to get more of the Facebook traffic redirected to this site?    I know that the APS promotes it's self on the Facebook forum, but can more be done to make this site the premiere Antique Phonograph forum?

I agree with you 100%. I left Facebook a couple years ago and suddenly I don't have to deal with too much "social". Here, on this forum, it isn't about personalities and is about history. I like the lower traffic as well, it means I can keep up with it easier.