A Phonograph Museum One Day? Possibly?

Granby

Some fellow collectors have discussed this on the "other" forum and I chimed in, as well.  I figured I would "switch it up" and post over here for this one.  Last fall, our local community asked my wife and I to include our home on an informal holiday tour of historic homes.  So, I thought, how do I present this somewhat awkwardly large collection of phonographs spread out around my house?  Some of y'all know the feeling - that little bit of anxiety when other people come over and you think, hmm.... I wonder what other people will think of all this stuff!

I decided to pull out some old department store sign/frames I bought years ago and made up some new "inserts."  I liked the look so much that I decided to leave the signs placed discreetly with the machines for family gatherings and my own reference.....  And, no, I don't have a sign made up for every single phonograph in my collection - just highlights..... for now.

So, to the original point - yes, maybe my collection is destined for a museum one day.  I know they are not high dollar phonographs, but, they are significant on a regional level.  I have several more pictures but will just attach a few as an example!  By the way, that "Adam" period Granby console is serial number 189, one of the very first Granbys to roll off of the line.  The cabinet still had old Newport News postcards and family correspondence from 1920.

And, if any of you ever come to Eastern NC, feel free to come by for a tour of my private museum.... LOL

Adam Console Display Sign.jpg

Adam Console 2023.jpg

Model B Display Sign.jpg

Queen Anne Mini Console Sign Snip.PNG

Granby Mini Consoles in Corner.jpg

Edited by Granby
added a photo
  • Like 6

Tinfoilphono

Very nice indeed. I love it.

I've thought about placing small identifying cards with my machines but I don't really have enough space. I do try to tack up related ads and the like where I can.

The late Dave Heitz had a private museum in New Hope, PA. An entire building devoted just to his phonograph collection (with sections for other Edison products, such as light bulbs and movie projectors). He placed small explanatory cards by most of the artifacts. It was pretty professional in appearance and very beautifully presented. He would open it to groups by appointment.

• Like 2

I like it too - very informative.

I used to have a small identifier on nearly all my machines, similar to this one:

AgraphoChi.thumb.jpg.842779cf273319d87f49a45d5b5cc67c.jpg

At the time I sort of hoped that my kids would absorb some of it...  Actually, our son (now 37) occasionally spews out a random fact that surprises me, but there's no real interest there.

Aside from a few friends who come over to kibbutz, no one sees my collection, so I stopped making new placards years ago.  I'd estimate only about 2/3 of my machines have them now.

Congratulations on your nicely-displayed Phonographs!

George P.

• Like 3

I occasionally spew out a random fact that surprises me as well. 

The display of period literature adds a nice flair to the displays. 

Thanks for the comments!  I am inspired!  I do often think about hanging some framed advertisements or period photographs in close proximity to each machine, too - ONE day.... LOL.

I think it's a great idea if you can display some sort of card next to your phonos with even the most basic info, approximate date and original price for example if you are showing your collection to non-hobbiests from time to time.

Even more fun, with more money and time would be to re-create a phonograph store in a period building and displaying for example the 1912 Edison lineup of disc machines with some Amberolas like the III and 1B.  You could put display older horn machines a  "used" offered at half the oriinal price for example.

Something like this would have to be done only for enjoyment of the hobby.   I doubt it would become a money maker charging for admission.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Valecnik said:

I think it's a great idea if you can display some sort of card next to your phonos with even the most basic info, approximate date and original price for example if you are showing your collection to non-hobbiests from time to time.

Even more fun, with more money and time would be to re-create a phonograph store in a period building and displaying for example the 1912 Edison lineup of disc machines with some Amberolas like the III and 1B.  You could put display older horn machines a  "used" offered at half the oriinal price for example.

Something like this would have to be done only for enjoyment of the hobby.   I doubt it would become a money maker charging for admission.

I 100% agree with this idea.  In my part of the country [Virginia and North Carolina], many of the small towns in rural areas are attempting to revitalize....  some successful and some not....  It has crossed my mind to purchase one of the old store buildings and do a window display or early 1900's showroom.  In some of the larger buildings, I could even live up above the "display or store area" on the second or third floor.  No more yard to keep up with and plenty of room to display and enjoy of antiques!  It's fun to dream..... But, you never know!  Depending on the area, some of the those old buildings are cheap!  But, unfortunately, some of those old buildings can be in sections of town that aren't revitalizing very well and safety can be concern.  That is probably why I have never pursued it more.

• Like 2

This discussion is the very reason I like this forum.  Fellow (and ladies) collectors sharing ideas and helping each other.

A few years ago I came across several neat ideas on how to display collections while on the TMF (I am now unable to sign on and it sadly appears to be dying slowly).  One of those ideas was cut small pieces of black construction paper and glue them into triangles.  I then can glue a small label and description of each machine.

The labels do not take up much room but the white on a black background catches the eye and looks professionally done. 

Bruce 

IMG_1093.JPG

• Like 1

That black triangle really adds to the appearance of your signs.  Compare to the plain paper shown above with a Type A Graphophone - the black base looks much nicer!

George P.

2 hours ago, phonogfp said:

That black triangle really adds to the appearance of your signs.  Compare to the plain paper shown above with a Type A Graphophone - the black base looks much nicer!

George P.

Yea I reallly like the Triangle idea too.  Looks very professional.

I must confess that I agree about the black triangle - subtle, not too big, looks good!!  As I run out of space and old department store signs, I may adopt a method similar to this!