Who made my windup record player

tdbear45

We have a record player it came from my Husbands grandparents, But I don't have a clue who made it! Nice floor standing piece. Beautiful oak cabinet. The only markings is a metal tag inside the lid: Concert type B serial number 8003. Anyone have a guess what company it was made by?

TIA

Karin

Kevin,

Images of your Concert will help to date it, as well as to identify the origin of its parts.

In all likelihood, your Concert of one of the hundreds of brands that popped up in the mid-teens, and withered in the early 1920s.  Some of these are quite interesting.  There's a great article on the APS website that discusses this genre:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collectiondetails/80

George P.

Not very good pictures. Because it sits between a couch and cabinet. I took off the "winder" to keep the great grands from playing with it!!

IMG_20230411_144652.jpg

IMG_20230411_144558.jpg

This is referred to as an off-brand here in the collecting community. 

The cabinet was originally built by the Thos. E. Wilson Company, a Chicago-based manufacturer connected to the sporting goods mogul. It was likely an overstock cabinet that got sold off and rebranded. Concert was a branded name taken on by various local business, department/furniture stores as a cheaper alternative to the main brands they were also selling.  A good estimate as to when it was built is around 1917-1920. 

Concert phonograph.png

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1