Needles

SteveM

My go-to machine for listening to 78s these days is my Thorens Excelda.  These portable machines fascinate me --- such ingenuity built into such small packages!

I am now running out of needles.  The tin I bought on ebay states: "use each point once only."  So they go pretty quickly.

I was wondering if there are "modern" needles available that will allow more than one playing?  If so, where would I buy them?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Some needles claimed multiple plays, but those were designed primarily for lightweight tone arms using an electric cartridge.  I recommend using a new needle for each selection - although playing the flip side of the same record can often be done.  Groove geometry wasn't standardized during the acoustic era, so the abrasives mixed into the record material shape the needle to that specific record.

If you buy steel needles in bulk, you can get the price down to around $3.00 per hundred.  That's only 3 cents per selection!

George P.

• Like 1

MisterJive47

Chamberlain brand needles are good quality, as well as Bry-phonic and a few other suppliers. Lately I've been getting mine from Brian at The Phonograph Shop as they're cheap and seem to be of high quality. Always been tempted to try bamboo or cactus needles, but sourcing and maintaining them is not too easy these days from what I see.

Thanks, Mr. Moderator, and MisterJive.  I will now head to the Phonograph Shop!

By the way, George, as a relative newcomer to this forum, I have just realized who you are, and I want to say it is a privilege to meet you, sir.  I have several of your books, and they are the best in the field.  Thank you!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SteveM said:

Thanks, Mr. Moderator, and MisterJive.  I will now head to the Phonograph Shop!

By the way, George, as a relative newcomer to this forum, I have just realized who you are, and I want to say it is a privilege to meet you, sir.  I have several of your books, and they are the best in the field.  Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words, Steve.  It's always gratifying to hear from people who enjoy our books.  If you're not already a member, I'd recommend joining the Antique Phonograph Society.  Membership benefits include access to the online library of over 30,000 pages dating from 1890 to the present, plus the quarterly APS magazine (56-60 full-color pages of the latest research and discoveries):

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/

Welcome to the APS Forum!

Joplin-Collector

I bought a Thorens Excelda near mint for a good price a few months ago and is one of my favorite phonos. Amazing how such a tiny compact phono can play so loud and clear. Definitely can tell it’s Swiss engineering. The thing is made like a fine Swiss watch.

2 hours ago, SteveM said:

Yes, you're right, Joplin-Collector, and the all metal construction means it will outlast both of us!

I love mine too. 

It does have one tiny flaw, one fiber gear.

Not sure if anyone has offered replacements lately.

James.