What is the most expensive record you ever bought?

nippers_lounge

I have two records I paid a lot for. I bought a copy of a Chinese Victor Monarch record a number of years ago. It was well over $200. And more recently I bought a copy of an Enrico Caruso blue label Zonophone record for way more money that I had any business spending. Much, much more than $200!

Here are links to youtube for these two records that include pictures of the records and the music on them.

"Jinyeju 金葉菊" or "A Golden-Leaved Chrysanthemum" Victor Monarch Chinese Record ca 1903

https://youtu.be/dEjNf3OJ5FY

Trimarchi: “Un Bacio Ancora” by Enrico Caruso 1903

https://youtu.be/gMb9bDs-tcU

Others in the $100 plus range are the Edison Diamond Discs "Greeting from the Bunch at Orange" and "Let Us Not Forget". Another is my Columbia napkin ring record from the 1905 Portland Lewis and Clark Exposition.

Edited by melvind
  • Like 2

Back in 1998 I paid $800 for an 1894-1896 Type E Graphophone cylinder.  It's the only opportunity I've ever had to acquire one.

In 2017 I paid $1250 for a 7-inch red Vitaphone disc.  I already had two, but I figured it would probably be the last opportunity I'd have to buy one.

As you can surmise, I'm sometimes interested in the historical artifact as much (or more) than what's recorded on it.

• Like 1

PatheLogical

My most expensive record (as well as one of the rarest) I've ever bought was a copy of the 3-inch diameter Eldridge R. Johnson disc concerning the ERJ exhibit at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition held in Buffalo, NY. The text of the roughly 15-second-long, spoken-word record is as follows:

"Put me off at Buffalo. I want to see the exhibit of Victor and Monarch talking machines and records manufactured exclusively by Eldridge R. Johnson, Camden, New Jersey."

E. R. Johnson 3'' Diameter Victor Record  --- Bob Coon (2).jpg

E. R. Johnson 3'' Diameter Victor Record  --- Bob Coon (1).jpg

Edited by PatheLogical
  • Like 5

Those who have been long attendees at Stanton's Auctions will recall a rare Vogue "Rum and Coca Cola" that hammered at $10k.  Attendees were stunned.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RodPickett said:

Those who have been long attendees at Stanton's Auctions will recall a rare Vogue "Rum and Coca Cola" that hammered at $10k.  Attendees were stunned.

😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PatheLogical said:

My most expensive record (as well as one of the rarest) I've ever bought was a copy of the 3-inch diameter Eldridge R. Johnson disc concerning the ERJ exhibit at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition held in Buffalo, NY. The text of the roughly 15-second-long, spoken-word record is as follows:

"Put me off at Buffalo. I want to see the exhibit of Victor and Monarch talking machines and records manufactured exclusively by Eldridge R. Johnson, Camden, New Jersey."

NICE!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PatheLogical said:

Very nice! Being from Buffalo, I've always wanted one of these. I keep hoping one pops up in a local antique shop, but doubt I'll ever be that lucky. 

I think my most expensive records are my 5-inch diameter cylinders. I have one original Edison Concert and one original Columbia Grand, as well as three of the outstanding Vulcan replicas. Each of them exceeded $100 each, but I don't remember the exact costs. I'm usually very hesitant to spend more than $50 on a record, but I needed something to be able to play on my Concert!

• Like 1

All of the above are very cool!

These are the highest I've bought, at $250 each

Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground / It's Nobody's Fault But Mine

Luke Jordan - Church Bell Blues / Cocaine Blues

11 hours ago, RodPickett said:

…………….
The highest sold was Vogue R715 (via Nauck's, $8270) 
Shep Fields and Orchestra
Waitin’ For The Train To Come In / I Can’t Begin To Tell You

James.

• Like 2