June Arrives Early For APS Members ×

Victor 2 - proper springs, screws, and weight for governor needed

MisterJive47

MisterJive47

Hi all,

I just became the proud owner of a Victor II (my first outside-horn Victor machine), made sometime between 1905-1909. That being said, I am just becoming familiar with the quirks of the speed control system on these earlier motors (I've been watching Dyslexic Genius' videos on the rebuild process for some guidance). The governor and speed control were botched by the previous "restorer" and I want to get it rebuilt correctly. Mismatched springs, screws, and weights, as well as a jacked-up speed control lever that someone heated and bent because they didn't understand how to set it up properly. 😑🙄

Does anybody know the proper weights and sizes of the screws and springs necessary? The screws are shorter and coarser than those used on the later Victor fine worm drive governors.

20230322_173932.jpg

20230322_173938.jpg

Actually, while you are changing the governor springs, clean off that heavy grease.  The governor needs to rotate smoothly and freely.  Use a good quality sewing machine oil on the pivots (not 3 in 1 oil).  I use synthetic grease like "Super Lube" for the gears.

• Like 1

MisterJive47
On 3/31/2023 at 3:52 PM, CurtA said:

Actually, while you are changing the governor springs, clean off that heavy grease.  The governor needs to rotate smoothly and freely.  Use a good quality sewing machine oil on the pivots (not 3 in 1 oil).  I use synthetic grease like "Super Lube" for the gears.

Curt, you're right. That's one of the first things I started doing was cleaning off all those huge globs of grease that someone liberally applied. Personally, I've found the best results with high-temperature wheel bearing grease and Tri-Flow Teflon oil. Just used Tri-Flow to resoak the leathers on my 4-3 Consolette's governor and now she runs like a Swiss watch.