Phonovention Rag. Peter Dilg recording on Edison Cylinder record, buried in time capsule at Edison Birthplace Home, Milan, OH.

McCormick

Rod Picket asked me to upload the Phonovention Rag video to this forum.  I tried, but the upload failed - possibly a file size limitation?  Please watch the video on YouTube.  I was president of the Hoosier Antique Phonograph Society in 2009.  Our board was in charge of producing the August 1st, 2009 Phonovention convention at the National Military History Center in Auburn, IN.  (a Michigan Antique Phonograph Society MAPS tradition)  We came up with a very crazy promotional idea to attract attendees.  There was a round table discussion at the 2008 Phonovention where it was postulated that if you bury a time capsule with an audio Compact Disk (CD), Hard Drive, and Thumb Drive containing a digital audio recording along with a 2-minute Edison Cylinder record of the same recording (acoustic version), in one hundred years, the only playable recording would be the Edison cylinder due to technology obsolescence.  Of course, we stacked the deck by burying our 2009 time capsule in the front yard of the Edison Birthplace home, Milan, OH, next to the museum that would contain several Edison phonographs for the August 1st, 2109 time capsule unearthing.  

Our Phonovention committee included dozens of familiar names, like Don Gfell, Richard Martin, Meagan Hennessey, Rod Pickett, Paul Ladd, Tim Fizer, John Hauger, Patrick Feaster, Bill Klinger...  I know I am leaving out a dozens names due to my short memory.  The reason for this post is due to my recent project to collect and upload the musical works of my mother-in-law, Malinda Zenor, to YouTube.  She has written and published over 100 original musical compositions and arrangements in her life.  She wrote the original composition for my Brass Quintet.  Bill Klinger announced it, and we performed it in front of the 2009 Phonovention audience.  (We played it 8 times to make sure at least one of the cylinders was perfect for burial) Peter Dilg recorded the performances on his Edison laboratory lathe.  We collected a ton of items for burial inside the time capsule (photo of items is included in the video).  The most important items were two original Edison brown wax cylinders, one of the Phonovention Rag and the other cylinder announced by Richard Martin with a 2-minute greeting to the residents of 2109 by Patrick Feaster.  There are dozens of images in the video that follow the process from recording to time capsule burial.   If anyone is interested in more information, I have all of the documents to share along with the article I wrote for In The Groove magazine when I was editor.

Thanks,

Tim McCormick

Tim@WorkOfAudio.com

• Like 1