Edison Standards

Neilvanstem

Neilvanstem

I have heard others who like me have more then one standard and each (I have three) is different enough and has its own horn all different too. I show you my three Standards the oldest of which left the factory in January 1904 and has a blue flowery horn, in the slot crank and was never altered so plays only two minute wax cylinders. My first Standard left the factory in December of 1905 and was altered to play the 2 and 4 minute wax cylinders, had female crank which screws on and it came with a small witches hat horn. Lastly my 'new' Standard is a model D and has a cygnet horn and came from the factory (circa 1910) with 2 and 4 minute gearing. I love them all it seems. How many do you have? Can you show us the photos? What kinds of horns do you have on them? 

standard differences (10).JPG

standard differences (9).JPG

standard differences (11).JPG

standard horn price (7).JPG

standard17.JPG

standard differences (24).JPG

Standard D (1).JPG

Standard D (2).JPG

Edited by Neilvanstem

Oh nothing wrong with having more than one Edison Standard.  I have multiples of many models.  There's so much variation!

They make a good workhorse machine. I also have 3 and have one with 2/4 gearing plugged into my receiver for amplified playback purposes.

AmberolaAndy

I have 4 Edison standards. Model A (March 1903), Model B (December 1906), Model D, In the model B tall case so It’s an early Model D from Dec 1908 or Jan 1909, And a model E from late 1912 or 1913.

Im still looking for a Suitcase A, Model C, and a Model F.  

Edited by AmberolaAndy

I got my 4th Standard over the weekend. It is a beautiful condition square case model A with Automatic reproducer and shaver. Barely shows it's age at all.

• 2 weeks later...

What serial number is you phonograph.  I have always liked the early Edison home suitcases and the square cases. I went overboard for a while. Tom

5 hours ago, tomb said:

What serial number is you phonograph.  I have always liked the early Edison home suitcases and the square cases. I went overboard for a while. Tom

If you mean mine, the SN is S30195.

Edison made two clips Edison standards thru aprox. s/n 20000 then changed to four clips thru aprox. s/n 42000.   After that the new case was used. There were some complains on the two clips  as the cases separated while carrying them and broke the phonograph.  I have a two clip case where someone added some extra hooks for safety.  I learned long ago to never never trust the carrying handle or the case latches.  I have damaged  a couple of cases. on my phonographs so I can see why.  Even the later cases have slipped on me due to improper hooking when the latch is pushed in.  I pick them up from the bottom.  I am working on my earliest square case as I seemed to have broken the wheel off of the carriage that rides on the knife edge. It is a early carriage only one screw in the reproducer retaining clip.  That goodness I found someone who can drill it out and repair it.  I have only seen one other one come up on E bay.  Tom