'Bullet Brake' Questions

BambooDreams

BambooDreams

I wonder if there is any information anywhere about the various designs / years of production etc of bullet brakes ?

Does anyone recognise my bullet brake ? (Photo below).  Could it actually have a metal tip or has the rubber just hardened / fossilized over the decades ?

bb.jpg

Auxetophone

Someone else will have a better answer, but any brake would not have a metal tip. Most likely hardened leather, but it could have been replaced with rubber sometime in its history. I’d replace it with supple leather belting available from the usual suppliers. 

• Thanks 1

BambooDreams

I see. 

I was quite surprised last night to find out that it is not magnetic.  It seems far too heavy to be aluminium so that left me wondering as well .........

• 2 weeks later...
BambooDreams
On 6/22/2020 at 4:33 PM, Auxetophone said:

It's likely nickel-plated brass, but could also be pot metal. Neither are magnetic. 

Oh, brass, that makes sense. I see.

• 4 months later...

Do a scratch test on the end of the brake that would contact the turntable.   Old rubber will look orangy brown, but dense.   Leather will look about the same color but will have a rougher, fibrous surface.  I suspect it is leather.  Rubber grabs too quickly and will stress the governor springs.   I've actually replaced one tip with rubber on a typical Vic bullet brake and have to ease it onto the TT edge to avoid an abrupt stop.  I really should change it out.

Ron L