Zon-O-Phone governor springs - anyone have a source?

MisterJive47

MisterJive47

Hello all,

As of recently, I am the lucky first time owner of a Zon-O-Phone, a pre-Victor acquisition Concert model. As the entire unit (including the cabinet, in five pieces) is a literal basket case, I was in-between whether I would part it out or restore it, but it's complete enough and the vital parts are in nice enough shape where I want to bring it back to its former glory. The motor spring holds a winding, horn is almost dent-free and the traveling arm is present, in spite of everything else.

I can source any parts that I need as repros easily enough, except for one small but vital sticking point... the governor springs. Once is snapped with the weight still intact, and the other is fine. I'd need to replace the pair, but I can find literally no-one selling them, at least online. I'm sure I am not the only one here to encounter this. It's the design that has a hole at one end, one in the middle for the brass weight, and a short 90 degree bend at the other end where it fits through a slot in the governor plate.

I had the same problem a few years ago.  Those governor springs with the 90-degree bend are unobtainable.  Ron Sitko sent me some spring steel of the proper gauge and over-length with a hole drilled in one end (I expect Brian Parlier would do the same).  From that stock I annealed the other end, made the 90-degree bend at the proper length, and cut the excess.  After re-tempering, it worked just fine.

George P.

• Thanks 1

MisterJive47

That's the answer I was afraid of. 😅 I had a feeling that I'd be fabricating these partially by myself. I saw an answer similar elsewhere, that Ron Sitko had the correct size stock material. Yes, I'd imagine Brian even probably has some still from Ron's estate. I'll talk with him next time I place an order then if nothing else comes up.

Whilst I understand that all these parts have a limited amount of demand to justify reproduction sometimes, I'm just kind of surprised that a simple common failure item such as the governor spring is not being reproduced for these machines when other, more complicated parts are.

Thanks!

"That's the answer I was afraid of. 😅 I had a feeling that I'd be fabricating these partially by myself."

It's not a big deal to make, if you have the correct spring material.  To put the 90 degree bend in them, just heat to red hot (the very end you want to bend), let it cool by itself and the temper is removed.  Bend the spring end, re-heat to red hot, then plunge the spring into a cup of cool water or motor oil to cool and re-temper... Done.  Otherwise, I am sure that Brian Parlier will make them for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, just in case you are even remotely considering parting it out, please forget that idea.  If the project is too much for you to consider, send me a PM...

• Like 1

MisterJive47

Oh there's no way I would part this sucker out. Very blessed to have found it, even in the condition it's in. I've no worries on attempting reproducing the governor springs, but I of course have the concern of getting them similar enough to each other to prevent possible vibration issues. Hey, there's a first time for everything, right?

Do you think MAP gas is neccessary, or might a regular propane torch be sufficient heat?

I used a conventional propane torch and it worked fine. 

Don't be intimidated by this.  It was my first time too, but it probably took all of a half-hour...and I work slowly.  I think it took me two tries to get it perfect.

Good luck!

George P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As George said, no worries.  If you plunge them into oil, instead of water to cool them, it has the added benefit of giving them a blued appearance.  It works to color any shiny metal that you want to be aged - screws, etc.

• Like 1