What's Up with the Talking Machine Forum

PeterN

2 hours ago, CurtA said:

Too bad  they can't transfer the saved info here...

Anything is possible, given data access rights.

• Like 1

nippers_lounge

As far as I know? I don’t think David wants to give up running the TMF. I do know that the owners of this forum asked David. If they could have control of the TMF, but he declined their offer. 

• Like 1

audiophile102
On 3/18/2023 at 4:00 PM, Django said:

It’s been like a ghost town over there for some time.  I have been tempted to point members over to this forum, but I am not ready to get banned quite yet.

I posted a request for help with my Sonora Auto stop on this forum and the TMF on the same day.  On this forum as of today my request received 27 views and no replies.  On the TMF my request received 182 views 3 replies.  This forum has a lot going for it for sure, but it has a way to go before it catches up with the TMF.  I wish it was the other way around.

• Like 2

It's basically the same members and viewers.

This forum will be alive as the other slowly dies.

Other older forums did the same.

James.

nippers_lounge
5 hours ago, Roaring20s said:

It's basically the same members and viewers.

This forum will be alive as the other slowly dies.

Other older forums did the same.

James.

I’d really hate to see the TMF close down. 

Paul

The TMF was great, but quite a few of us have been unable to login for a year or more - and there are never answers from the administration. It would be fun if everyone simply moved here...

• Like 2

Joplin-Collector

Something needs to happen because that forum has considerably more traffic than this one from the folks who still have access. Now and then collectors within 100 miles of me will post asking if there’s anyone close… and I’d love to respond but I can’t. Whoever David is or is still out there… he needs to step up and do the right thing.

Edited by Joplin-Collector

On 4/2/2023 at 7:01 AM, nippers_lounge said:

I’d really hate to see the TMF close down. 

Paul

Same here, but I think the writing's on the wall...sadly.

nippers_lounge
6 hours ago, Fran604g said:

Same here, but I think the writing's on the wall...sadly.

You may be right.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the TMF for many years with thousands of posts... I haven't been able to login for over a  year - no replies from David and now I get this message at the bottom of threads I look at:

Screenshot2023-04-15at10_00_45AM.png.22da25d8881e31b827a6b7c48925ca2e.png

• Sad 1

You're not alone, Curt. I logged out of TMF a few months ago and haven't been able to log in since. So the heck with it. I had previously registered on this forum and it has become the go-to site for me. I hope others in the same situation will abandon the TMF---it doesn't deserve to continue under the present operating conditions.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I didn't realize that Curt, Henry and others had been locked out of the TMF.  I figured you guys had just stopped posting there.  Now I know what happened.  I've had accounts on other phono boards that eventually went bye-bye.  I guess that could happen with the TMF.

• Like 3

Cranks-n-Horns417

It's a real shame to see the TMF adrift and beyond the reach of everyone to save it. I don't understand why those in control would willingly leave it to such a fate. 23 years ago I started the first and maybe still the only website for owners and collectors of Trabant automobiles from the former East Germany. I did so after permanently returning to The US after years of living in  Eastern Germany and Hungary.  I of course brought my Trabant with me. The site grew slowly at first then it really took off. Shortly thereafter I was sidelined by health issues and finances so I asked the individual, particularly active members if there was any interest in taking over. It was enthusiastically accepted by one of them...it was no huge deal handing the site over. It's still there after 23 years and doing well with almost double the membership from when I handed over the reigns. The format and graphics are simpler as it has changed from one server to another over the years. It doesn't look to be very active or kept up to date so I'm not sure how relevant it still is but it is alive, running, managed and taking on new members.

Should anyone be curious it can be visited at: https://trabantusa.yolasite.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

nippers_lounge

Well, non of us on the TMF have heard from David in awhile?  As far as I can tell, he is refusing to give up control of the forum.  Seeings as he is the only one who knows the technical aspects of running the forum!  The owners of this one had asked David if they could take over control of the TMF, but he turned them down. 

However, there are those of us, including myself who refuse to let the TMF die! 

11 hours ago, nippers_lounge said:

Well, non of us on the TMF have heard from David in awhile?  As far as I can tell, he is refusing to give up control of the forum.  Seeings as he is the only one who knows the technical aspects of running the forum!  The owners of this one had asked David if they could take over control of the TMF, but he turned them down. 

However, there are those of us, including myself who refuse to let the TMF die! 

I been trying to join the TMF with no luck now I know why . Maybe some day in the future