Dog Show, Calling All Nippers

Django

AudioAntique

Our Nippers heard you calling and are coming to the show.  This Nipper is small measuring approximately 1 ½ inches in height and sits on a 5 ½ inch onyx base.  An ad from 1900 describes this first three-dimensional advertising piece.  It became available in October 1900.

We authored the Nipper Collectibles books Vol. I, II & III, where many of the pictured items can be found.  Joan found the early collectible at an outdoor antique market.  When doing research on Nipper items for the book, we found an illustration of it pictured in The Collectors Guide To “His Master’s Voice” Nipper Souvenirs by Ruth Edge & Leonard Petts.  Joan contacted Ruth Edge and confirmed that it was indeed one of the first Nipper collectibles.  Look for the tiny dog sitting and standing on other early collectibles. 

Our books are available on eBay.

(1) Early Paper Weight.jpg

(2) Early Paper Weight.jpg

(3) Ad Early Paper Weight.jpg

(4) some Nippers.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, AudioAntique said:

Our Nippers heard you calling and are coming to the show.  This Nipper is small measuring approximately 1 ½ inches in height and sits on a 5 ½ inch onyx base.  An ad from 1900 describes this first three-dimensional advertising piece.  It became available in October 1900.

We authored the Nipper Collectibles books Vol. I, II & III, where many of the pictured items can be found.  Joan found the early collectible at an outdoor antique market.  When doing research on Nipper items for the book, we found an illustration of it pictured in The Collectors Guide To “His Master’s Voice” Nipper Souvenirs by Ruth Edge & Leonard Petts.  Joan contacted Ruth Edge and confirmed that it was indeed one of the first Nipper collectibles.  Look for the tiny dog sitting and standing on other early collectibles. 

Our books are available on eBay.

(1) Early Paper Weight.jpg

(2) Early Paper Weight.jpg

(3) Ad Early Paper Weight.jpg

(4) some Nippers.jpg

I have enjoyed your books and most things Nipper.  

I don’t think that Victor would have been #1 without Nipper.  Brunswick and Sonora had better motors, volume control, great cabinets and Brunswick had the multi-use Ultona reproducer, but Victor had Nipper which I think made the brand more endearing.  

Playing a Diamond Disk on my Brunswick blows the Victrola away, (better motor, reproducer and horn), but despite those advantages, the Victor machines are still my favorites.

My Brunswick has a support dog too, (The Bryant Pup by Old King Cole).

IMG_5267.jpeg

Edited by Django

• 2 weeks later...

Dry times are slow and lots of patience is required, but my second glass eyed Nipper is nearly ready to get some legs.  The ears will be last.

The body and head are mostly repaired and have received a coat of paint.  Next comes the hard part.

IMG_5299.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg

• Like 2

I have moved the project out of the basement so that I could use my previous restoration as a model.  The stand and markings will insure that Nipper is at least sitting properly.

I intend to form the hollow part of the front feet from Silly Putty, (I did this on the right foot of the other one).  Once the feet are formed, stiff tubes will be added, followed by a build up of paper mache, plaster case and reinforced drywall filler.  

The hind legs will be produced away from Nipper and attached after they are mostly completed.

That’s the plan anyway.

IMG_5318.jpeg

IMG_5321.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, CurtA said:

PoorNipper.thumb.png.ca23757132ba5ba121fed8e01b6bad34.png

Not sure how much this Nipper could hear, with those bony ears! (Quite apart from the fact that he's otherwise severely reduced.....)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, electrolaman said:

Well lookie what I just brought home today! 

IMG_3087 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Congratulations!! I have always loved that particular Nipper display piece. It is still on my wish list.

• Like 1