Years Made: 1922-1924
Year Produced: 1923
Original Cost: $375.00-$440.00
Cabinet Size: 36 ¾” tall, 39 ¼” wide and 24 ½” deep 
Turntabe: 12"
Reproducer: Vtla No.2
Motor: quadruple spring
Horn Dimensions: 14 ½" wide x 14 ¼" tall
Reproduction Parts: front part of the left, front lower leg.

Current Value: open for discussion 

Interesting Facts: This was Victor’s top level regular production machine at the time that it was produced. This machine was probably a special order with some unusual features. The VV-230 typically came with all hardware being gold plated, but the crank, knobs, escutcheons and key on this machine are all “antiqued”, (the appearance is somewhere between oiled Bronze or antiqued Brass). The 12” albums appear to be repurposed “Period” machine albums, (a circular letter is adhered over the original letter). The 10” albums have the adhered circle, but there is nothing beneath it. Circassian Walnut was not available in the US after 1917, but this machine was built in 1923, (probably from of special reserve of wood).  

The lower, front part of the carved left foot was missing, (the surface was perfectly flat, so i assume the the legs were always “built up”). I had a piece of figured wallet from an early Victorian piece of furniture, so I carved a new one, (mostly with a sharp chisel, files and sandpaper). I adhered the copy after about four hours of fussing with it. It took about three more hours to get it just as I wanted it. I am happy with the result, but I think that Victor would have fired me for being so slow..

An added bonus was finding the original box of documents that included an original 230 manual and a Victor catalog. This one turns 100 this year.

The post card shows the store that sold this phonograph.

F36478F1-90EE-4585-A549-7465AEC13975.jpeg

6AC80E67-0D58-42B0-A3E2-6BFC6DD05D09.jpeg

84B8D057-B8AF-4A9A-8E8F-7FD8FF9C2087.jpeg

FE277924-090B-4565-8701-74E8DF00EE79.jpeg

F7F351CF-1215-4669-9190-C128D66FA011.jpeg

9A661ABE-8D76-4246-9671-2D3C8329FB9E.jpeg

665A86D3-BF05-4586-AA4B-92E7240E0D86.jpeg

73B8C061-4ABA-4B94-8303-33C8A834A486.jpeg

D2542769-4D63-4759-ABE7-D7E06A7E592C.jpeg

16D6CA18-2DFF-4485-AC10-A1688D2C6AC6.jpeg

Edited by Django
Added Post Card
  • Like 2

• Django changed the title to Featured Phonograph No. 1, Victor Victrola VV-230, Type A, Circassian Walnut

Thanks for sharing this most exquisite example of a top of line Victrola in the top of line wood finish! I know, many collectors don't appreciate consoles, but this example with its bowed front and sides is just such a beautiful piece of furniture which was obviously taken well care of and kept together with original documentation and albums. Definitely a dream machine for me. Congratulations on such a rare find!

Andreas

• Thanks 1

What a beautiful machine---congratulations! I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks, too. I love your description where you say "I had a piece of figured wallet"---I assume you meant "walnut"! I'd like to have a figured wallet in walnut just like that one!

• Thanks 1

audiophile102

The carcassian walnut 230 has always been one of my favorite victrolas so I'm happy to see it again.  Will the APS forum have a featured phonograph section?  So many were lost from the Talking Machine forum.  I would like to see it come back here.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, audiophile102 said:

The carcassian walnut 230 has always been one of my favorite victrolas so I'm happy to see it again.  Will the APS forum have a featured phonograph section?  So many were lost from the Talking Machine forum.  I would like to see it come back here.

Thank you.  I like it too.  

I have proposed that a Featured Phonograph section.  I posted this as a starter/test phonograph.  I brought this here because it was one of my favorite parts of The Talking Machine Forum.  It is sad that The Talking Machine Forum had degraded so much.  It seems to be a bit of a ghost town.  I am hoping that this forum will take its place as a good resource and place to exchange ideas and knowledge.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this and for providing all the information.  What a beautiful piece you have there!  You were so lucky to get the accessories and the dealer decal is also a big plus.  Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

All I can say is "WOW"... what a beautiful machine.  You did a great job on that foot, if you hadn't mentioned it, no one would know it was repaired.

• Thanks 1