Reproducer to Recording Media Compatibility

PeterPoggi

As a newbie to this hobby and very ignorant of acoustic players or shellac records, I frequently found myself confused about  which types of records should be played using different machines and their reproducers.  I often looked for a reference on the subject but could find none.   So, with a great deal of input from Gertie Maeder over several inquiries, i made an attempt at creating reference, primarily as an exercise to enhance for my own knowledge. I am glad to offer it up here for use, additional text or photo contributions, etc. 

Reproducer Compatibility Chart.docx

• Like 5

There's also the Victor No. 4 soundbox which is a mica diaphragm soundbox that victor determined was good enough for electrical recordings and released in 1926. It was available as an upgrade to acoustic machines as well as on some portables and tabletop machines into 1927. It looks like HMV may have used their version for longer, into 1931 on their HMV 101 portable.

Edited by coppercoils
  • Like 1

Thanks - The No 4, i would have thought that the 5 and 6 were even higher quality - weren't they sequential improvements? 

I don't know if you can get much better than  a Victrola no. 4 if you want to play late 20s, even early thirties discs on an early 20s or earlier acoustic Victor machine.  The numbers 5 and 6 fix to a larger diameter elbow so they would not fit.  Pictured below are the H.M.V. (British) and Electrola (German) No 4.  They are exactly the same as the Victgrola no. 4 except marking.  Also pictured is an Exhibition for comparison. CFCE5820-7C5A-426F-94A9-E628B52171E5.jpeg

1B4C37CB-40CA-48C3-A06F-8781E1155B05.jpeg

Edited by Valecnik
text
  • Like 1

Thank you - I'm still quite ne at this so I appreciate your clarifying this for me.  I"ll talk to George Paul and see about working this into the document. 

30 minutes ago, PeterPoggi said:

Thank you - I'm still quite ne at this so I appreciate your clarifying this for me.  I"ll talk to George Paul and see about working this into the document. 

No problem at all.  Also, I would add that needle type makes a big difference.  For an acoustic 78, loud or medium tone are often preferrable.  With late 20s to early 30s electrically recorded disc a soft tone needle is almost always preferrable.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten unusually busy, but I'm going to do this. 

Would it be OK if I used your photo in the document when I add the updates? 

2 hours ago, PeterPoggi said:

I've gotten unusually busy, but I'm going to do this. 

Would it be OK if I used your photo in the document when I add the updates? 

If you mean my photos, yes feel free.