Newbie need some help in picking a victrola machine!

Daskraut

I have had 78's in my record collection since about 1972 as my dad was a jazz musician in the big bands and all the music he played on for the most part was on 78"s. After WW2  he moved on to composing and arraigning, all those albums are on 33. So I grabbed a cheapo modern victrola for the post 1935 records but still have many 1920's records that need a REAL Victrola to play.  I need to know what smaller hand crank machine is the equivalent of a Ford model T. I love abundance of spare parts and reliability.  What do you suggest??

For regular playing, I'd recommend at least a 2-mainspring motor.  A Victrola VI or IX are common, well-performing machines that sit on a table top.  The Victrola XI is the most common of all, but except for its earliest production, the XI is a floor-model.  This, however, gives you record storage space. 

You should be aware that, although the word "Victrola" took on a generic meaning much like "Band aid" or "Scotch tape," among collectors a "Victrola" refers ONLY to the machine manufactured and sold by Victor.  There are many common, good-quality machines available that will fill the bill as well as a Victrola, but if you're after the Victor product, the VI, IX, and XI will give you good, reliable service at a pretty low price.

If you haven't already seen them , there are several helpful free article on the APS website.  Note that this is only the 1st page of a 2-page Table of Contents:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/collection/1

George P.

• Like 1

My first Victrola was a Victor VI that my dad bought me back in high school. They're easy to work on, have a fairly strong motor and robust drive train, and uses the common Exposition reproducer. These machines can easily be procured in decent condition about $100-250 if you keep an eye out. Anything you get, unless it's already been restored, you can expect that you will AT LEAST need to rebuild the reproducer to prevent potential damage to your records.

49 minutes ago, MisterJive47 said:

My first Victrola was a Victor VI that my dad bought me back in high school. They're easy to work on, have a fairly strong motor and robust drive train, and uses the common Exposition reproducer. These machines can easily be procured in decent condition about $100-250 if you keep an eye out.

Not to nitpick, but a Victor VI and a Victrola VI are two entirely different animals.  A Victrola VI can indeed be readily found for $100-$250.  Not so the Victor VI.  They both use the Exhibition sound box.  (The "Exposition" sound box is a European copy.)

George P.

• Thanks 1

George, you're NOT nitpicking. That's absolutely correct, mea culpa. I think the Victrola VI would then be properly classified as the VV-VI for short then, to differentiate it from the Victor the VI? Not the first time I've made that mistake. 😅

Yes - the "VV" in your example stands for "Victor Victrola" and is a perfectly accurate way to denote the machine - as seen on the data plates.

George P.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, Daskraut said:

I have had 78's in my record collection since about 1972 as my dad was a jazz musician in the big bands and all the music he played on for the most part was on 78"s. After WW2  he moved on to composing and arraigning, all those albums are on 33. So I grabbed a cheapo modern victrola for the post 1935 records but still have many 1920's records that need a REAL Victrola to play.  I need to know what smaller hand crank machine is the equivalent of a Ford model T. I love abundance of spare parts and reliability.  What do you suggest??

Where are  you located?  I do have some smaller models available.

• 2 weeks later...

If by "VI" you mean a Victrola VI (as opposed to a Victor VI), you'll have no trouble finding any parts for it.  These sold very well and parts are plentiful and cheap.

Good luck!

George P.

If the 1920s records are post 1925, you might want to consider a Victor Orthophonic machine.  Some of these later machines were fairly small, but most were floor models.  They were designed to play the “new” electronically recorded records. 

• 4 months later...
Cranks-n-Horns417

Seems we all started with a Victor VV-VI. Ditto what everyone else has said. As for parts, they are cheap enough that you can surely find one needing no work or parts for under $200 on eBay, maybe cheaper elsewhere. I'm sure The APS guys can fix you up. Enjoy

Another reasonably priced Victrola is the VV-50, which is a robust portable type enclosed in an attractive wooden case.  There are several variations of it in either oak or mahogany.  I like them because they are easily transportable and play like a full size machine.

vv-50.jpeg

Edited by CurtA
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...