Edison WA 473 Ernest H. Shackleton

RodPickett

RodPickett

Here is another transfer of the 4 minute Wax Amberol  recording by Ernest H. Shackleton, My South Polar Expedition", recorded 30 March 1910

Shackleton.m4a

Edited by RodPickett
Correct errant uploads
  • Like 1

What are the two titles "My South Polar Expedition Rod?  When I click on them I get a black screen with a white strip containing the title.

RodPickett

I had an error in upload  somehow and had a couple of errant files.  It should display properly now.  See my response on playback in my previous Cal Stewart example 

35 minutes ago, RodPickett said:

I had an error in upload  somehow and had a couple of errant files.  It should display properly now.  See my response on playback in my previous Cal Stewart example 

This one does not play for me now.   Still need to download it.   Lots of pauses.  Could be my issue, although speedtest indicates ~52mbps download speed.

RodPickett

The Chrome browser will typically download your files rather than open them.

Here's how:

1.      When you click to download a particular file type (e.g. .txt, .doc, .docx, .pdf), look at the bottom of your browser window, where you see the little down arrow next to the file name.

2.      Click on this down arrow, and you will see an option 'Always Open Files of This Type'.

3.      Click on that option, and that file type will always auto-open in future.

(Note, you'll need to do this once only for each file type you come across).

1 hour ago, RodPickett said:

The Chrome browser will typically download your files rather than open them.

Here's how:

1.      When you click to download a particular file type (e.g. .txt, .doc, .docx, .pdf), look at the bottom of your browser window, where you see the little down arrow next to the file name.

2.      Click on this down arrow, and you will see an option 'Always Open Files of This Type'.

3.      Click on that option, and that file type will always auto-open in future.

(Note, you'll need to do this once only for each file type you come across).

Hmmm.... I understand your instructions exactly but when I click on that option,  it only gives me the choice to 1) save as M4a or 2) save as all files.  

RodPickett

Try this

To make certain file types OPEN on your computer, instead of Chrome Downloading...

You have to download the file type once, then right after that download, look at the status bar at the bottom of the browser. Click the arrow next to that file and choose "always open files of this type". DONE.

Now the file type will always OPEN using your default program.

To reset this feature, go to Settings / Advance Settings and under the "Download.." section, there's a button to reset 'all' Auto Downloads

Hmmm...  thanks for the suggestions Rod.  The problem persists with Chrome.  Can't open or download at all with Internet  Explorer.  It works properly, (steps as you describe above), with Microsoft Edge.  My pc is only 6 mos old, running Windows 10 so that should be okay.  I may get my IT guy to have a look next time he comes around.  Thanks.

Would it be okay for me to share this file with my friends on FB? I will be sure to credit you as the source.

I understand if you'd rather I don't.

RodPickett

Certainly, but thanks for asking.  I'm sure this is a also in the public domain.   There was also a fascinating book written about him, the title of which I do not recall at the moment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Neilvanstem

Cool to hear this. I for some reason thought it would be two minutes. Hey my first post here at the new forum. Love this one you posted. Rod!