Clarion cylinder - unusual image variation

phonoobsession

phonoobsession

I just came across a very unusual variation of the image used on the British "The Clarion Record" cylinder box label. It basically is the same image, but much more detailed compared to the version used on the label. However, there are many tiny differences to spot though. 

Does anyone know where this image comes from?

My guess is, that it was printed in a newspaper or used for a promotional flyer before the actual cylinders were marketed ... so maybe from summer 1907.

I attach both the unsual image and the regular image from the cylinder box label to compare them.

Clarion_unusual_motif.jpgClarion_regular_label_s.jpg

Edited by phonoobsession
  • Like 1

Neilvanstem

I have one Clarion box and assume it is the common one. In color. I got mine in trade with a Dutch collector. We trade items back and forth. I do like the Clarion. Interesting differences. Thanks for showing both to us. 

Edited by Neilvanstem

phonoobsession

Actually all Clarion cylinder box labels had exactly the same image (except tiny differences on some of the letters in the word "CLARION" on very early labels). The only difference is the colours used to print the labels. The colourful version came first, followed by versions in red and pale green, dark and pale green and one just in red, all on white background. Some different lid labels  and a wide range of different box makes  used by this brand result in countless combinations. But that's a different story, to be told in my cylinder record boxes book, that I am working on since a couple of years.

To my knowledge the unusual more detailed image never appeared on an official label. So, I am wondering what's the story behind it and where it was used.

Neilvanstem

I really like the part that is not shown so I show mine. In photos you can see the use of yellow but in person it is not so yellow looking. lol Floods the world with melody is a nice slogan I think. 

100_2590.JPG

phonoobsession

Well, the yellow colour varies from rather pale to very intense on my several boxes. And that's not just a matter of fading from sunlight. The printings were different back then. For the scan I chose a very colourful box. For completeness, here's it in its entirety ...

Clarion_regular_label_s.jpg

Edited by phonoobsession
  • Like 1

Neilvanstem

Phonoobsession! Nice to see. I gather you have lots of nice cylinders/boxes. I do not have many if you take away my Columbia, Edison, Indestructibles and US Everlasting have not many others. One or two language course boxes/cylinders. Nice to see the other brands though. If I did not trade with a Dutch man I would not have any foreign either!