"Charleston" Edison Diamond Disc Record

RichardLee

One of my favorite records is my Edison Diamond Disc rendition of "Charleston" 51542 by the Golden Gate Orchestra. It was recorded on April 2, 1925. I got this years ago at the 127 Sale which passes through several states. It was in a beat up old box with a number of other DD's. The asking price was $1.00. I didn't try to lower the price. It does have some issues, but I still love it. There is one tiny ding about half way through which causes it to skip forward a second or two, but it still plays all the way through. As you can see by the photos, the reverse side, "Mamie" by Frank Silver's Dance Orchestra is missing the lable but plays great. I know this record is hard to find because it was the quintessential "evil jazz" record of the 1920s and was often destroyed. If anyone has more information on it, please let me know.

20200612_171146.jpg

20200612_170404.jpg

20200612_170435.jpg

20200612_170647.jpg

Percy_Dovetonsils

This is a great record. Red Nichols and both Dorseys are present this session, and, interestingly enough, Adrian Rollini teams up with Irving Brodsky for double pianos on "Charleston".

5 hours ago, melvind said:

I have looked for this for years. It seldom comes up for sale. Maybe one day i will actually find one.

Vulcan re-issued this recording on cylinder a few years back.  It's a wonderful recording for sure.

Neilvanstem

I do not have this record but would love it no doubt. I have two others with Charleston in the title and both good but one sounds more like a Charleston tune. I show you here both sides of both discs. Love your record with issues or without!

charleston (1).JPG

charleston (2).JPG

charleston too (1).JPG

charleston too (2).JPG

Auxetophone
On 6/12/2020 at 7:50 PM, melvind said:

I have looked for this for years. It seldom comes up for sale. Maybe one day i will actually find one.

If I'm not mistaken, @Don_Wilson made some nice reproductions of this a couple of years ago. I have one somewhere. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 7:28 AM, Auxetophone said:

If I'm not mistaken, @Don_Wilson made some nice reproductions of this a couple of years ago. I have one somewhere. 

Yes, I believe I have all the Diamond Discs with "Charleston" in the title available.