Cabinet information

Cathy

I just purchased this cabinet to use to store my liquor and small kitchen appliances.  I am curious as to what it might have looked like when it was new as I cannot find an image on-line.  Would anyone have a catalog or similar cabinet that you would be willing to share?  Sorry the photos turned out upside down,  no idea how that happened.  

Thank you.

Cathy

cabinet 1.jpg

cabinet 2.jpg

cabinet 3.jpg

cabinet 4.jpg

cabinet 5.jpg

54 minutes ago, CurtA said:

What does the paper label on the back say?

Notice  No license is granted under the letters patent covering this instrument for its unauthorized alteration either in structure or appearance, nor for the unauthorized substitution or addition of any part violation hereof will subject the violator to suit for injunction and damages  The Aeolian Company

Okay... So the phonograph was originally an Aeolian-Vocalion machine.  Judging by the decoration and grill cloth, it must have been one of their higher end machines.

Too bad someone screwed it up and removed the guts...

Edited by CurtA

20 minutes ago, Cathy said:

Notice  No license is granted under the letters patent covering this instrument for its unauthorized alteration either in structure or appearance, nor for the unauthorized substitution or addition of any part violation hereof will subject the violator to suit for injunction and damages  The Aeolian Company  There is also a little metal tag that says 

43 minutes ago, CurtA said:

Okay... So the phonograph was originally an Aeolian-Vocalion machine.  Judging by the decoration and grill cloth, it must have been one of their higher end machines.

Too bad someone screwed it up and removed the guts...

Yes, it is too bad.   I had just wondered if there were catalogs from the Aeolian Company where I might see the cabinet new.  Thanks for your input.  Much appreciated. 

I went through my Vocalion resources, Newspapers, the Talking Machine World, Chronicling America, the Wakeman book, I couldn't find it. I found some similar models, though nothing exact. It could've been a non-advertised model, but Aeolian usually did a pretty good job advertising most of them. There are a few period model catalogs out there which might have it if it wasn't advertised. It could also be a British Vocalion, possibly even a custom cabinet, but without the identification tag we'll never know. 

It's such a shame as this was one of their higher-end art style/period models. Aeolian likely painted it because there's a few high-end painted models, but it also could've been done by a dealer/jobber. Whoever butchered this poor machine had a vendetta against it. They not only gutted it, but cut off the feet and cut the hole in the back, maybe to get the horn out?

The closest looking model I found was the 1492 from 1920-1923. (There are a few differences, the door on yours, the trim work and legs.) 
Vocalion(1).jpg.e3dba9c3eb50c361cb866454f2f35ed6.jpg

Here's a different model painted Vocalion.

Vocalion(2).jpg.d64f83b628af77a17da5f488ab3fac51.jpg

Edited by BenL