An Early (and Local) Phonographic Image

phonogfp

My phone rang at about 4:30 this afternoon.  It was a friendly antique dealer whose shop is down the street from our house.  This dealer has been very good to me over the years, so when I saw his name (Ed) on the caller ID, I was eager to learn what was up.  He said, "I have something wonderful here that I want to GIVE you!"  I thanked Ed for calling me, adding that anything "wonderful" might merit being bought, but he said, "Oh no - you should have this!  Come on down when you can!"

I was there in about 10 minutes, and pictured below is the real picture postcard he insisted I take as a gift.  I have included a close-up which clearly shows a 2nd style AH Disc Graphophone.  By the way, Sonyea, NY is about 4 miles south of our house!

Naturally, I'm very pleased with the image, but I'm more grateful for Ed's friendship and kindness. 

George P.

2106559008_AHatSonyea1.thumb.jpg.a8619ff06115e8d230a00680e3de2fed.jpg

1073824553_AHatSonyea1(2).jpg.a62e275617e3b742f81140feda65521c.jpg

• Like 1

• phonogfp changed the title to An Early (and Local) Phonographic Image

The moonshine "still" must be in the tent.  They obviously needed entertainment while they were "brewing".

I can't help but wonder what was going on.  These fellows aren't dressed for hunting...and is that a uniform on the guy at the right holding the rifle?  Possibly a group down from Rochester, 30 miles to the north?  And the horse?

Congratulations George. A wonderful and very intriguing image. I hope one day you find out who they are and why they were there. The guy with the rifle is dressed like a train conductor I think. But, I am not sure. 

Ed, Barbie, and I also thought "conductor" regarding the fellow with the gun.  There were twice-daily trolleys between Rochester and the south end of the Genesee Valley, but if this was a trolley excursion, the conductor must have been off his shift.  The valley was also served by 3 different train lines, so maybe that's the explanation.  I'll take the image to the county historical society here in Mt. Morris and see if anyone recognizes the uniform - - or might have an idea as to the pictured gathering. 

• Like 1

SONYEA is, in fact, an acronym for State of New York Epileptic Asylum.  These guys don't appear to be having seizures, so I think Rod is right.  The record on the AH appears to be this one... 

The acronym, "State of New York Epileptic Asylum" is a latter-day urban legend.  I grew up about 10 miles from Sonyea and even our teachers in school told us that myth.  As an adult interested in local history, I learned that Sonyea is the Seneca word for "A sunny place."  It didn't become an epileptic asylum until 1896 (if memory serves), but the name predates that event by centuries.

George P.

Good to know...  No sense promoting a myth, even though it seemed to fit.

Like Abe Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

Edited by CurtA
  • Haha 1