Amberol Storage Boxes

PeterPoggi

Does anyone have a source for replacement cardboard Amberol cylinder storage boxes / tubes? I contacted a cardboard tube manufacturer, and he can make them but requires a minimum order of 1000 tubes and 5,000 plastic end caps.  I only need a couple of dozen. 

Peter,

Do you need new boxes?  Do they have to be for Amberols?

If you can get by with flocked Edison boxes for wax cylinder, I can help you out.

John 

Hi John,

I was just looking for a good way to keep them clean and protected, not necessarily displayed.  I only have the 4M Amberols, so whatever boxes I use need to fit them.  

Hi,

I assume you're talking about the celluloid Amberols, not the wax ones.  

Anyway, the flocked boxes I have are mostly Edison boxes for 2M cylinders.  Clean is a relative term, but they're clean enough for 2M wax, particularly if you blow them each a squirt with a can of Dust Off.

How many do you need?

I'm new to this - I thought the 2M records were smaller.  Yes, I have the blue celluloids. A dozen would do we well.  

Hi Peter,

They both have the same dimensions.  The blue Amberols will fit fine.  The only difference between the boxes is they are slightly larger due to the flocking and stiffness of the pasteboard.

I'm happy to send you a dozen or so 100 year old boxes.  Just send your address to me at president@antiquephono.org.

APS membership has its benefits!

John

• Like 1

John, I can't thank you enough. I hadn't realized you responded until just now. I will send you my address.