Planned Outage - Sunday 29 Sept., 10P - Midnight, EDT - Routine Maintenance ×

Outing Talking Machine ??

ForSaleinSantaRosa

ForSaleinSantaRosa

Hello All,

What a wonderful site. I never knew there were so many different types of these devices. Wow!

I recently acquired this Outing Talking Machine. In my research is was made by a furniture company in New York. This thing is so cool but I don't need one more thing to collect. My main focus is Reel to Reel tape decks, older cassette decks, as well as other magnetic tape oddities.  So I need  determine it's rarity and value. 

Any suggestions or advice will be most appreciated. I'm in Northern California by the way. 

Thanks,

Andre'

Screenshot_20220410-075213_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-075042_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-075108_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-075121_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-075136_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-075151_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it would clean up nicely. What happens when you give it a couple of cranks?

It would be considered an off-brand, which simply means it isn't an Edison, Victor, Columbia, or Berliner. That can make it harder to find a buyer who wants to part with ample amounts of cash. I'm no expert on the market, but I think relatively few collectors would offer more than $100, assuming it runs and the reproducer isn't thrashed. Again, I could be wrong. Collectors from Mt. Kisco could be eager.

I'm south of you by a fair bit, in Oakland. Ever make it down this way?

Best,

Rod Brown

• Like 1

It's a model senior from about 1922-1924, it's missing the record album that stored in the lid.

Outing is considered an off brand, but it still has some collectability being a portable. (Just not as collectable as a Victor/Columbia portable of the time.) They aren't incredibly rare, outing was one of the larger off-brand portable makers, but a little uncommon compared to a main brand. 

It doesn't look too bad, the case is a little rough but I'm sure some GoJo could clean it up. 

Talking-Machine-1923-06-OCR-Page-0143-page-001.jpg

Edited by BenL

I have an Outing and was surprised how well it plays after some cleaning and restoration.  The motor is one of the quietest I have heard...  For an inexpensive portable, it is quite well made.

Does anyone happen to have an Outing album that might be for sale?

Edited by CurtA
Additional comment
  • Like 1

That Outing album is great!  I especially like the graphics. 

I didn't realize till now that mine was missing!

George P.

• Like 1