Edison Home Phonograph

MikeS

Obtained this Edison Home Phonograph and want to find missing parts as well as some history about this unit.  Where would you suggest to look for the parts and history? Thanks.

Edison Phonograph 1.jpg

Edison Phonograph 2.jpg

Mike,

The D-models of the Edison Standard, Home, and Triumph were introduced in October 1908.  These were the first Edison Phonographs with the capability to play both 2-minute and the brand-new 4-minute cylinder records.  Your Edison Home Model D was equipped (either from the factory for later by a dealer) with a Cygnet horn, as evidenced by the bracket mounted on the back panel of its cabinet.  Here are a couple of pages from the Edison catalog of October 1910.  I include both pages because someone mixed the images of the Home and the Standard equipped with Cygnet horns!

HomeD002.jpg.a1cd1b0909a988c523d4272c07225cce.jpg

HomeD001.jpg.2263707d2175765329332c4db5a9aa35.jpg

As for parts, it looks like you may in the market for a reproducer(s).  A Model C Reproducer plays 2-minute records and a Model H Reproducer plays 4-minute records.  You can advertise for these in the "Classifieds" section of this Forum.  Also, the Model D machines are notorious for swollen bearings that support the mandrel shaft (the mandrel is the part that holds the record).  If the mandrel of your Home doesn't rotate freely, there's a very good chance the bearing needs to be replaced.  This is NOT a job for the inexperienced if it can be avoided.  However, you can remove the mechanism of your Home and send it out for this repair.  I'd recommend:

George Vollema: http://www.victroladoctor.com/

If you wish to equip your Home with a Cygnet Horn, you can advertise for one here, as mentioned above.  You'll also need a Cygnet crane for your bracket, which can had in reproduction form here:

Brian Parlier
The Phonograph Shop
https://www.facebook.com/ThePhonographShop/

www.thephonographshop.com

brian@thephonographshop.com

(C) 704.995.9142
(H) 704.644.8606

Hopefully this will get you started.  Don't hesitate to ask more questions as they arise.

George P.

• Like 1

Thank you George.  Your information has been very helpful.  Will be taking your advise on advertising for parts as well as getting it serviced professionally.  As I go through this I maybe reaching out for more ideas.

Mike S.