Edison Wax Amberol no. 15016 Tiroler Holzhacker - Buab'n

Valecnik

This wax Amberol looks to be in average condition but as is very often the case, plays with amazing clarity.

The Edison 4 minute wax cylinders play the best of all cylinders to my ear. I have a number of them and their quiet surface makes for a really nice sound. I do not play them real often though. I am afraid of breaking them. You can break them just looking at them wrong.

What reproducer are you using?

Edited by melvind

2 hours ago, melvind said:

The Edison 4 minute wax cylinders play the best of all cylinders to my ear. I have a number of them and their quiet surface makes for a really nice sound. I do not play them real often though. I am afraid of breaking them. You can break them just looking at them wrong.

What reproducer are you using?

I agree with you Dan.  I rarely play them.  I bought this one at the Rudesheim show a few years back.  Played it once and thought, wow this is really excellent fidelity!  The next time I played it was for this recording.  Haven't played it since.

The reproducer is a Model O rebuilt by Steve M.  The O always sounds fantastic.  The N sounds even a bit better imho.  Simpler design but still has the large diaphragm.

I was just worried you might be using a diamond stylus, but I know you know better than that. Wonderful video.

7 minutes ago, melvind said:

I was just worried you might be using a diamond stylus, but I know you know better than that. Wonderful video.

Thanks Dan.  Yea diamond stylus would be bad news on these.  Probably one or two plays and bye bye.  ?