Edison Advertising Record

NateO

This is probably not the advertising record you're thinking of!

I stumbled across this on eBay recently, and thought I'd share a photo of it. It's a really nice advertising piece, which I assume would have been displayed by an Edison dealer to promote an upcoming release. In this case, they are advertising Edison Diamond Disc 80553, both sides of which were recorded in mid-1920. Scouring the internet, I was able to locate just two other painted designs like this disc I now own- one advertising Edison 80554 (also by Mabelle Wagner-Shank)  and one advertising Edison 50637, Harry Raderman's famous "Make that Trombone Laugh." I've glanced at the Talking Machine World for 1920/1921, hoping to find more information on these, but haven't had any luck so far. Does anyone else own one of these painted advertising discs? I'd love to see them!

The record that was used to create this advertisement is 50517 ("Singapore" by Arthur Fields and "Can You Tame Wild Wimmen"  by Billy Murray), which looks to have been released in early 1919. My guess would be that Edison was trying to use unsalable stocks of the noisy wartime pressings, or using otherwise rejected and unsalable records so they didn't go to waste. Either way, it's a very clever method of advertising!  

Now I just need to find a nice copy of Edison 80553. Either way, this looks great on the turntable of the B-275.

PXL_20220403_173014188.thumb.jpg.e3e6d0a91345a3fbae6418b0f35a6ccf.jpg

• Like 2

I think these Edison advertising records are VERY cool.  I've seen only one or two over the years.  Congratulations, Nate!

George P.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...