My latest machine, a Wizard Phonograph

melvind

After playing with this machine I can see why they had a short life. It is a complicated task just putting a record on the mandrel. Then you have to mess with getting it lined up to play. It has one thing in common with an  Edison Opera, the record moves under a fixed reproducer. But, there is no comparison when it comes to ease of use.

When I get it playing a little better I will post a video of it playing a record. It actually sounds pretty good.

20200604_062807.jpg

20200604_062759.jpg

Edited by melvind
  • Like 4

Tinfoilphono

Great machine! I owned one years ago and enjoyed its very quirky design. Unfortunately I had to let it go to make room for something else. I often regret it. I especially like your red horn, which is scarcer than the black version I had.

Dan, I'm happy to hear that you have it running well.  This was one of three machines that were in my collection, and I've kept one going forward as I try to reduce my inventory ahead of going to the Old Sailor's Home.  I just love the Wizard and it's uniqueness.

cheers,

Raphael

06-DSC_4212.JPG

• Like 3

They may not have not been designed well for practical use, but my gosh they are beautiful. I would love to have one.

Neilvanstem

I have only in my collection Edison and Columbia cylinder machines. So to me this is exotic and very interesting. I have seen some 'off brands' on facebook too and it just amazes me to see these. Thanks. 

Fascinating. Based on what I read it seems if they had not been driven out of existence through patent lawsuits they probably would have died of natural causes as they are not as efficient as the competition. Still pretty of course, rare and desirable. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a crude little video showing the Wizard playing a cylinder and some detail of the machine. The record is a glow in the dark version of The Skeleton Rag by the Premier Quartet made by Norman Bruderhofer of Phonoworks Germany a few years ago. It is simply a clean record to play, the glow in the dark part has been shown before and can wait for halloween.

The Wizard Phonograph in Action

This is one of the more unusual phonographs I have encountered. There are a couple of reasons why. Firstly, the reproducer is stationary and the mandrel moves under it. Secondly, you have to remove the entire mandrel and rod to put a record on it. And, lining it up takes a bit of practice as well. You have to move the little gear attached to the rod on top of the running gear at the right place to line up with the beginning of the record.

The motor drives a slip-gear on the shaft attached to the mandrel. The reproducer is stationary, as is the half-nut for the feed screw. This enables the mandrel to move, carrying the cylinder across the reproducer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Neilvanstem

When playing and while watching all I could think is this is more unique then I thought. Just fun to see/hear it in action. Thanks for this video. Just never saw such a thing. A marvel. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting.  I have never seen a completed wizard before.  That is a beautifully made phonograph too bad it is so quirky Tom 

• Like 1