Playerphone phonograph information

Mari

My husband's parents recently gave us a Playerphone phonograph. It has been in the family, we think, since my mother-in-law's childhood (something in the 1930's range). So far, we have been unsuccessful in locating any information on this specific brand. Is anyone in the Antique Phonograph Society familiar with this brand or is there anyone who could point us to helpful resources? The machine is functional but we are reluctant to use for fear of damaging it. 

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_E1286.JPG

PatheLogical

Congratulations on being chosen to be the custodians of that Playerphone --- it looks to be in nice shape!    I just did a quick, basic Google search using "playerphone", and came up with this list of possibilities: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=playerphone .

Let us know if you need more info.   I'm sure someone here can point you in the proper direction.

Enjoy!

It's a style/model 17 manufactured between 1925-1928.  Playerphone was founded in 1916 by the National Mercantile and Retailers' Association, lasting into 1923 when it went under.  Around that time, the Excel Phonograph Company, a subsidiary of the Columbia cabinet company, started using the name. I couldn't find anything suggesting if Playerphone sold the name to Excel or if they just adopted it after the company closed.

Excel likely used the name to sell in a local department store/business outside their main dealers. 

Playerphone.jpg

Edited by BenL