Alto 78RPM hand crank player

BobM90

Hi all,

I am trying to get some information on a Alto 78 RPM hand crank portable player that I own. The only markings on it any where is on the Turn table brake bracket, I will try to up load several photos of the player and bracket, Any information would be greatly appreciated, have a great day.

Bob Meyer

s-l1600 07.jpg

s-l1600 11.jpg

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

No brand name on the reproducer either? (That's the part that would hold the needle.) Those can be nameless too, of course, but often there's some branding going on.

If a magnet sticks to the motor frame, it would be a solidly built motor. Some motor frames were made of pot metal--not magnetic, and they're relatively fragile. "Inexpensive" would be the polite word.

Just a stray opinion here, but I like the way this looks. Deep green and blue. Overall decent condition, looks like. Where's your fair share of rust??

Well I do have my fair share of rust, lol. Thanks for the comments, I think the reproducer that was on it is now in my spare parts bin, I will attempt to hunt that down, I never thought to look on the back of that one, but I will tomorrow. The motor frame appears to be made from cast iron, it is very heavy, weird huh? Another thought has come to mind, I haven't seen the spindle side of the motor as I didn't remove it from the motor board, I will do that tomorrow also. A very different kind of thing is that the reproducer arm connection is a pipe that swivels 90 degrees to the upright position from its storage area  and it has no horn, the pipe stops just short of a angled piece of plywood that sends the sound back toward the inside of the cover. You are probably confused by now, I know I am, it is nothing like a Victor. Thanks again, stay well.

Bob

Ok after further investigation looking for markings, this is what I found - NOTHING.

1. The motor is made from cast steel and then machined, it has no markings of either side or inside the front or rear plates.

2. The reproducer that is currently on the player is the one I got with it, there are no markings on it.

3. After taking this machine completely apart there are no markings anywhere, other than those shown in my first post which are located on the Brake bracket.

Thank you to anyone who tries to solve my little mystery.

Bob