Jewel Phonograph Company Edison Adapter

I found this unit in original box today at an antique show. It is an adapter for Edison Diamond Disc machines to play lateral and vertical cut 78s. Box end appears to say Jewel Needle Equipment for The New Edison. Then the Jewel Phonograph Company with address somewhere in the US. Quick lookup shows them to be from Indianapolis. It has a double needle chuck with a single (well placed) set screw. That is about all I know at this time except it needs a touch of lube and a little adjustment. It is built like a tank.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Jewel made a similar adapter for Victor machines to play lateral and vertical cut records.  I have a NOS one in a similar box.  They also made replacement tonearms with the same reproducer to upgrade any phonograph.  I also have one of those.  They apparently experimented with diaphragm material other than mica and they all came with "No-Myka" (not sure of spelling) diaphragms, which are made of this brownish material that appears to be some type of plastic.  There are small, yellow, oval Jewel needle tins, as well, which held sapphire and diamond styli for use with these reproducers.

• Like 1

Jewel also produced (or sold) the Jewel "SAFFO" Jewel Point for playing Diamond Discs. This ad can be found in the January 15, 1927 issue of Talking Machine World.

958417455_27-1pg103Jewel.thumb.JPG.3cdab4a549c69a7bab5fd1d7e0c86b08.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melvind said:

What a fun find. Things like this just don't come up so commonly these days. Congrats!

I saw it from about 20ft away and practically leapt a table to look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 10:19 AM, Mainspring said:

I saw it from about 20ft away and practically leapt a table to look at it.

I did the same thing when I found my NOS adapter for Victor machines...  They are well made and very interesting.

Here is a Jewel Attachment for Victor --- useful for playing vertical-cut records on a Victor-branded machine. I was fortunately able to buy this out of a Victor XIV being sold locally.

2127910730_JewelAttachmentforVictor.thumb.jpg.d671270672fccc26f05bd0823dd4cb99.jpg

• Like 1