Afteraction Report: Donley Auction/Howard Hazelcorn Collection

phonogfp

I was a phone bidder on the Donley Auction of the Howard Hazelcorn collection on December 11-12, 2001.  I had never participated in a Donley auction before, so I thought I'd share my experience here.

The phone bidding went seamlessly.  I was assisted by two different people over the course of the weekend.  Several days prior to the auction I had submitted the lot numbers in which I was interested.  On the day(s) of the auction, I received a phone call a minute or two prior to a lot coming up.  Both people (Mike and Susan) were helpful and professional. 

Within minutes of the auction closing on Sunday, I received an invoice via email, which I immediately paid.  On Tuesday, I received a bill via email and text for packing and shipping via Fedex, which I thought very reasonable ($84.48).  I paid it, and my package shipped the same day.  In less than 48 hours, it arrived at my house in western New York State.

Never having participated in a Donley auction, I was of course hoping the packing would be good.  It was better than "good."  Here are pictures I took during the unpacking process:

Donley1.thumb.JPG.f321b679a1d65a8bd373f5c437978c2d.JPG

Donley2.thumb.JPG.dddcb612ff0ac656df3dcf189749fd6e.JPG

Donley3.thumb.JPG.965fa1e483b76dadc7e01b197f183a37.JPG

Donley4.thumb.JPG.a165b4017932eef13dfd08ac561b1087.JPG

Donley7.thumb.JPG.cb6e437633a5c2b9f4c20076f669520f.JPG

Everything arrived in the same condition it left Union, Illinois, and much faster than I was expecting.  Had the packing been substandard, or the turnaround inordinately slow, I would have been unhappy - so it's only fair to report that my expectations were exceeded.  I will not hesitate to participate in future Donley auctions as long as this level of service continues!

Best to all - -

George P.

• Like 4

That's great to know, George. Thanks for sharing that.

And congratulations on a Hawthorne & Sheble Eagle! How's the overall condition?

Thanks Rene.  The condition of the machine is very nice.  The case has a few age spots, but no splits or other damage.  I was surprised to discover that the mechanism is NOT BOLTED into the case - and never was!  There are no holes on the wooden base.  The machine just sits there by gravity.  Perhaps it was up to the customer to attach the mechanism - - which may explain the variations you and I discussed a few years ago.

George P.

Thanks Fran!  I'm pleased with all three items.  I admit I'd have been more comfortable examining them in person prior to bidding, but it all worked out.

George P.

7 hours ago, phonogfp said:

I was surprised to discover that the mechanism is NOT BOLTED into the case - and never was!  There are no holes on the wooden base.  The machine just sits there by gravity.  Perhaps it was up to the customer to attach the mechanism

Very interesting indeed. I think that does confirm the theory that the cabinets were sold empty, and the consumer installed their Eagle.  One that I know of has to have the winding key removed to put on the cover. Mine is more centered. But unlike factory-cased Eagles, this is screwed to the board, not mounted with bolts passing through the bottom.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, melvind said:

Nice George. Another Eagle for your vast collection of them. Nice decal on this one though!

Thanks Dan.  I've wanted an H&S cased Eagle for a long time.

All items appear to be well packaged and in excellent condition.  Congratulations, and yes, this appears to be an auction vendor to follow.

Thanks for posting,

Matt