EDISON DISC PHONOGRAPH Model A-450 Louis XVI

Valecnik

Then, in September 2016,  a friend of mine in the Midwest contacted me.   His main focus is his framing business in which he also displays some nice phonographs.  A woman had contacted him for an appraisal.  Edison phonograph.  Without seeing it he said probably Anywhere from $50 - $400.  She said she would bring it over.  Here's what he saw in the back of her SuburbanUntitled_1.jpg.227a709055059af466d01ba5b93875a5.jpg...

Untitled_2.jpg

Untitled_3.jpg

Untitled_4.jpg

Untitled_5.jpg

Untitled_6.jpg

Untitled_11.jpg

Untitled_12.jpg

Untitled_17.jpg

• Like 1

My friend told her it was something special and worth much more than his initial estimate.  He contacted me and put me in touch with the woman who had inherited it from her grandfather and then father.  We talked for a few weeks back an forth.  She got other appraisals.  It was not cheap and also it had some problems, eventually we agreed on a price and I told my brother  who lives near by to get into his pickup and bring the cash.  She made it to her new home.

A450 4th.png

A-450 second.png

Edited by Valecnik
change
  • Like 2

Some restoration was needed.   The left side of the case had been drilled through and heavy bolts inserted  to secure a motor mount.  The grill had some missing pieces and one spring was broken.  The key escutcheon and key were missing.

Untitled_13.jpg.8a469a5d884a034eacd2907ecb4bb010.jpg

IMG_1128.JPG

Untitled_7.jpg

With the help of family and a super phono friend who, among other things loaned an original key and escutcheon, she's back finally, since summer 2021 looking very much like she would have in 1912-1914.  IMG_1672.thumb.jpg.6e768061a7da1508ac39d99cdfc98cec.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

• Like 3

Wow - that's a great story, Bruce!  As Fran noted, the motor plate looks remarkably good - - especially considering how it was "packed" into the back of that Suburban!  It looks beautiful now - -

Congratulations - - I'd love to find one of these someday.

George P.

11 hours ago, Fran604g said:

Interesting. How would have that motor support been mounted originally?

The motor mounts are screwed into the case from the inside Fran with three small screws about max 1/2 inch long.    Those probably broke free and a previous owner din't want that to happen again so he put three big bolts straight through the side of the case from the outside.

8 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Wow - that's a great story, Bruce!  As Fran noted, the motor plate looks remarkably good - - especially considering how it was "packed" into the back of that Suburban!  It looks beautiful now - -

Congratulations - - I'd love to find one of these someday.

George P.

No kidding about that packing George!  As you know these A series can't be safely transported without removing the motor or the motor falls right out into the lid as you see in the one picture.  Fortunately there was very little damage though.

2 hours ago, Valecnik said:

The motor mounts are screwed into the case from the inside Fran with three small screws about max 1/2 inch long.    Those probably broke free and a previous owner din't want that to happen again so he put three big bolts straight through the side of the case from the outside.

I had a hunch that was the case. It's hard to imagine what caused the catastrophe, and I'm happy you were fortunate enough to acquire this beauty! It couldn't have gone to a better home.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Bruce,

Fran

audiophile102

Congratulations.  Your Edison is of the most coveted antique phonographs ever made.  Really exceptional.  If it was mine, I would try to get it to the best antique restorer, Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration, Gorham, Maine & Boston (thomasjohnsonrestoration.com) 

You can see what he does on his You Tube page.

Wow, what an absolutely gorgeous machine. And such a lucky find. Maybe not cheap, but still found in the wild. Treasures are still out there!