FORUM POLL: Article on Charles Tainter by Howard Hope

Analogous

Last month, I attended the CLPGS Annual Meeting in Malvern, England.  One of the presentations was about Charles Sumner Tainter, delivered by Howard Hope.  If you have read Howard's book on Colonel Gouraud, you know his ability to thread details together into a compelling story.  He did the same with Tainter, enumerating his important contributions to the development of the cylinder phonograph as well as the inner workings of the Volta Group and his dysfunctional arrangement with the Bells.

After the presentation, I asked Howard if he would write up his presentation for publication in The Antique Phonograph, thinking readers would find it very interesting.  So now, I'd like to know that the interest is there.  Please click the heart to show you want Howard to develop this article for the March issue of TAP.

Thanks.

John

IMG_0193.thumb.JPG.e1b6f0e799a071bad34210faf5540c34.JPG 

• Like 13

Absolutely!

Tainter is one of the four pioneer developers of talking machines.  Much has been written about Edison and Berliner.  It's about time Tainter was given his due - - then Chichester Bell can have his turn!

George P.

I would love to see this article come together and I am sure it would be of great interest to most collectors. As George pointed out he is one of the very early and important pioneers of which very little has been written about him. I for one would love to know his story.

I very much look forward to this article. Hope's book about Gouraud is a masterpiece of research and writing. I'm sure he will do Tainter justice.

... and please include the detail of why CST's parents named him after the famous abolitionist Senator from Massachusetts (Charles Sumner)! 

Allen

• Like 1