My Home Phonograph

Valecnik

Posted this photo quickly and easily directly from my phone.  Nice feature of the software.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think my first home was a model D.  I was new to collecting and paid a good price but the phonograph was in excellent shape.  These phonographs seem to play and play.    Here is my final Edison home that I needed to complete my homes. I have been looking for this one for a couple of years.  I added the cygnet horn to it .  This style bedplate was used for the  models  C,D,E, and F.  They just changed the gears, carriage, or the reproducer. Tom

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0722_(1).JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

The next Home on my list is another D model set up for straight horn.  I've got a nearly perfect Edison Home horn waiting to match with it.

Is your horn a 31 inch horn or a 14 in horn. ??? I would like to install some 31 inch horns but they would stick out too far  in my living room and I have a very active three year old grandson who has  temporary ??? moved back in with his mom and dad.  I am still in the process of refinishing a search light horn that needs gold stripes. I would like to display that horn on one of my phonographs.      I have been trying to figure out when  searchlight horns came out and what  standard or home models they would go on.  I do not know if they would go on a model A or B.  Once the Edison phonographs get you going it is a hard hobby to stop. It is great to get something over 100 years old looking nice and playing records or cylinders as it did in the past wondering who it used to belong to ..  Tom

The Searchlight Horns appeared during the summer of 1906.  They were appropriate for Edison Standard, Home, or Triumph, and the model is not especially important.  Since post-October 1907 Edisons were equipped with their own flower (and later Cygnet) horns, the Searchlight Horns are most often found with A and B models of Standard, Home, and Triumph.

George P.

7 hours ago, phonogfp said:

The Searchlight Horns appeared during the summer of 1906.  They were appropriate for Edison Standard, Home, or Triumph, and the model is not especially important.  Since post-October 1907 Edisons were equipped with their own flower (and later Cygnet) horns, the Searchlight Horns are most often found with A and B models of Standard, Home, and Triumph.

George P.

So it would be OK for Models B and up to put one on. I do not think it would fit on a suitcase  Home A Tom

7 hours ago, tomb said:

So it would be OK for Models B and up to put one on. I do not think it would fit on a suitcase  Home A Tom

It's all in the crane.  I wouldn't try using a Hawthorne & Sheble No.4 to support a Searchlight on a suitcase Home, but one of the Tea Tray cranes would work.  Although a Searchlight Horn will date at least 5 years later than any suitcase Home, period owners could and did "update" their horn equipment years after their original purchase. 

Many of us collectors seem to (almost subconsciously) pair machines and horns as though everything had been originally purchased on the same day.  There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but there's a lot of evidence that Edison owners "updated" their machines for years after the original purchase (Amberol Attachments, Cygnet Horns, etc.).  I've found (and I'm sure many APS Forum members have as well) machines in attics and house sales where earlier machines were equipped with later horns.

George P. 

• Like 1

Thanks  George I forgot about that.  My mind does not function sometimes as well as it used to.  I may take a couple of phonographs out and try on a bunch of horns on them to see what they look like  with different style horns.  I have some long ones too.  I will take some pics and post them . Some people are partial to certain horns though and as you said if it did not come with it it does not belong.   I was reading Flows and he kind of hinted that people upgraded them.  I know Edison offered update kits for there phonographs as some of the parts had to be sent in to be fitted.  It makes sense that anything offered by  1913 could have been used on prior phonographs by their owners to give better performance and a more modern look.   ( keeping up with the Jones ) as it used to be stated. .  When I got my Home C I decided to add a cygnet horn to it  as I had a complete original laying around  and Flows said it was an option.  So I guess it is not completely original but it fits my collection and displaying better.   Tom

• 1 month later...

Having had some cracks in the horn masterfully repaired by Pedro Martinez Diaz, I thought my Model D Home deserved some place in the living room for awhile, instead of the dark upstairs hallway where it normally resides.  ?

Edison D model Home no 1.jpg

Edison D model Home no 2.jpg

Last one. Honest!  Note the stitched leather belt.  I guess it's original but would welcome others' opinion on that.

39F89C40-68A8-42F7-800D-B0A000E14C14.jpeg

Edited by Valecnik
Additional comment
  • Like 1

First remember many of us don't know as much as you so when you bring up a subject like searchlight horn...... which I had never heard of I would like to see one. Now I did go look using google and they are very different from anything I have and my second thing is my God folks have more then one Home. Now I confess I have three Standards but it never dawned on me to get another Home! I am slow at times it seems. The Home I have is I believe a suitcase style. A little horn so little sound. It is not the greatest due to low volume. It was altered to play four minute cylinders too and altered I believe in other ways though I did not pay attention when someone told me. It uses only a C and H reproducer. Maybe I need yet another horn. ha ha No room though. Thanks for all the conversations going on. Neil

home20.JPG

home5.JPG

home8.JPG

home10.JPG