Standard Model D Question

Will

Hello! I have a Standard Model D cylinder phonograph, and recently the phonograph has been losing momentum while the cylinder is still playing? I’ve had this phonograph for about 7 months and I have not had this problem before. I used to be able to turn the crank and it would be enough to get through the entire song. 

I’m not sure what caused this to start happening, but I’ve been turning the crank the same amount of times as before (just until I feel a noticeable “pull”) but lately, it has not been enough to get through the song. Would you know what is causing this problem and how I can fix it? 

Thanks so much!

Tinfoilphono

Without seeing it I can only guess, but I'd wager that you're not winding it enough. As you wind it, the amount of pressure on the spring increases steadily. It starts giving a little 'pull' pretty quickly, but when tension just barely starts building up it still has a long way to go before reaching a full wind.

I don't have a Standard D at hand to double check, but from memory I think you'd have to wind it at least 20 turns to get a reasonably full wind, and probably more. When you reach a full wind it becomes obvious by feel that you simply can't go further.