Tea Tray Company Flower Horns: "On This Day in Phonographic History..."

phonogfp

"On This Day in Phonographic History..."

June 14, 1905: Charles Eichhorn filed for a U.S. patent for an “Amplifying Horn.” This patent was assigned to the Tea Tray Company, and featured the distinctive concave petals commonly associated with the company’s horns. When Edison began supplying large flower horns with its Phonographs in October 1907, they were manufactured to

the specifications of this patent.

August 22, 1905: Charles Eichhorn was granted a U.S. patent (No.797,725) for an “Amplifying Horn.”  

June 29, 1905: Charles Eichhorn filed for a U.S. Design Patent (eventually granted as No.38, 202) for “Amplifying Horn.” This scalloped-petal design was manufactured/marketed by the Tea Tray Company under its own brand, and eventually supplied to Edison as standard equipment on several models beginning in October 1907.

August 28, 1906:  Charles Eichhorn was granted U.S. Design patent No.38,202 for "Amplifying Horn."

#antiquephonographsociety #phonograph #gramophone #antique

1329764453_Eichornflowerhornmanuf..thumb.jpg.a10f6de1a4cc4b3d24e8f4c248a06d0c.jpg

726812974_EichornDesignFlowerHorn.thumb.jpg.a942bb53a6be4b9ddae0ef7e0eb17606.jpg

• Like 5

That's a beauty, Brandon!  It's also one of Tea Tray's more "unconventional" (for them anyway) petaled horns with convex ends.  Thanks for sharing it!

George P.

PatheLogical

Here's one of my Tea Tray Company flower horns which I purchased with a Victor V in East Dundee, IL in 1988 from Jack Paar (No, not "the" Jack Paar).

PXL_20210615_021722697.thumb.jpg.25055a006a7cf4edd5ab24f6d22956ed.jpg

• Like 3

Bob, those Tea Tray horns with white roses on a black background get to me.  The beautiful blending of greens on the leaves really pops on black.  My very first phonograph horn (shown in the upper left of the image below) had this decoration, and it must have permanently affected me.  Although in my mind there are prettier colors than black for a background, this combination has always struck me (at least since I was fourteen). 

Thanks for sharing yours!  It looks great on that Monarch.

TeaTray.thumb.JPG.d29cb47a358ec615b5211fe8d0a19373.JPG

While eating breakfast, it occurred to me that I'd be remiss if I didn't include one particular example in a discussion of Tea Tray horns.  This one was made of heavy gauge brass, nickel plated, and decorated with pink roses.

The shiny nickel plate makes photography tricky, so I have included three images.  The last picture is the best.

TeaTray3.thumb.JPG.23a6a926170349f416a235798fcd2a3c.JPG

TeaTray4.thumb.JPG.9c7aa3311b9bdcecfbfb5e1062bd6f05.JPG

TeaTray2.thumb.jpg.24bf11e27481f8cf9f76225fe4f73b36.jpg

• Like 4

Tinfoilphono

That is a stunner. Wow.... 

I'm not sure if this accessory Victor horn was made by Tea Tray or not. Any thoughts? I've owned this since 1962 and it's always been a favorite of mine.

005_edited-1.jpg

• Like 1

Somewhat related, the crane on the Edison Home (foreground) is the first crane sold by TTC, Patent No. 763,096, filed 25 Sep, 1903, granted 21 Jun, 1904.

The statue just behind with the white globe is an 1800’s natural-gas tavern/bar cigar lighter.

The third horn is TTC, with intact decal.

The red “Ring for Beer: bell in the foreground does not work in my house (for some reason), although it is loud enough.

20210615_114208.thumb.jpg.18b903861b5d4b9c808ea0f3cba79dcb.jpg

20210615_120526.thumb.jpg.d8a97f9867ce3d7763fae4a5b7e62a56.jpg

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

I may have missed it but how does one know if he has a tea tray horn. Is there a decal? Or the name some place on the horn or is it by design one can tell. (any examples if that is the case would be appreciated) I do not think I have any but would be interested in know how to tell for future reference. Neil

18 minutes ago, Neilvanstem said:

I may have missed it but how does one know if he has a tea tray horn. Is there a decal? Or the name some place on the horn or is it by design one can tell. (any examples if that is the case would be appreciated) I do not think I have any but would be interested in know how to tell for future reference. Neil

Neil,

There's an article on "Identifying Talking Machine Horns" in the December 2012 issue of the APS magazine.  The section on Tea Tray shows the decals found on them, as well as the typical hanger.

• Like 1

Rene,

Does your beautiful blue flowered horn have the Aug. 22, 1905 date stamped near the small end?  That's a good indication of a Tea Tray horn.

Rod,

I see several Tea Tray horn cranes in your first picture!  That first one is hard to find - - and it's not surprising since it's so clunky.  The September 2011 issue of the APS magazine has an article on Tea Tray horn cranes.  I think you must have them all the models!

Tinfoilphono

My accessory Victor horn has no decals, stampings, or markings of any kind, nor any trace that any once existed. It's a mystery.

1 hour ago, Tinfoilphono said:

My accessory Victor horn has no decals, stampings, or markings of any kind, nor any trace that any once existed. It's a mystery.

I have a few cylinder horns like that.  We may never know...

Whoever made it, yours on that Victor is a knockout.

George P.

Neilvanstem
On 6/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, phonogfp said:

Neil,

There's an article on "Identifying Talking Machine Horns" in the December 2012 issue of the APS magazine.  The section on Tea Tray shows the decals found on them, as well as the typical hanger.

I found it and am reading it now. Thanks George