“Strike Me Pink” by Arden and Ohman 1932 record played on a VE 8-30 X LTP

melvind

“Strike Me Pink” by Victor Arden and Phil Ohman and Their Orchestra 1932

Played on my VE 8-30 X hand-tooled leather panel Victrola

A friend from Seattle asked me to make this video. He has not had the chance to come and see this machine I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. No one has been to my house is a year because of this darn pandemic. So, this video is all about seeing and hearing my VE 8-30 X phonograph play an Orthophonic record live.

I placed my microphone about 4 feet in front of the horn of the machine. The Credenza is so loud I had to use a soft tone needle to record the record. Even with the soft tone it is quite a big sound in the room. These big orthophonic era machines really do sound amazing.

For those that will not like that the lid was open during the video, feel assured when I made the sound recording the lid was indeed closed. I edited video from my phone (that I hope doesn’t make you sea sick) into the video with the pre-recorded live sound.

I love this machine. The previous owner went to the trouble of having Wyatt Markus rebuild the reproducer then proceeded to paint the whole reproducer gold front and back. A very strange thing to have done and he told me he knew Wyatt would not like what he did. A disappointing reproducer in the looks department, but the sound is really great.

Credenza page on victor-victrola.com:

http://www.victor-victrola.com/8-1.htm

DAHR Link:

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/800039508/BS-73872-Strike_me_pink

Vocalist: Frank Luther

• Like 1

PatheLogical

Thanks for another great video Dan! Oh, and thanks for closing the lid while recording the audio (yes, I'm one of those people)!

Bob

4 minutes ago, PatheLogical said:

Thanks for another great video Dan! Oh, and thanks for closing the lid while recording the audio (yes, I'm one of those people)!

Bob

I know, and you were who I had in mind when I added that sentence! ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oregonian said:

Nothing less than outstanding!

Thanks Jerry! A nice comment especially with all the hassle we had picking it up in LA! 

Edited by melvind
  • Like 1