Edison model

gordonplane

gordonplane

I believe I have an Edison Traditional but not sure. If anyone can help identify it

Also where does the little spring fit -35

In 307 I think it is almost a centrifugal weight but it is only connected on one end.

Are there any mechanical drawings online?

20210307_140906.jpg

20210307_175121.jpg

20210307_175138.jpg

20210307_175208.jpg

20210307_175225.jpg

20210307_175235.jpg

20210307_175307.jpg

20210307_175404.jpg

gordonplane

I think I have the Grafonola Victrola. I have seen an ad that says the model is "favorite"

I also see I need three centrifugal weights.

I have loads of questions.

Is it a 2 minute or 4 minute player.

What year(s) was this model produced in?

Edited by gordonplane

Hello Gordon,

Your machine is an Edison Amberola 30.  (The Grafonola was a disc machine made by a different company, as was the Victrola. )

The Amberola 30 was introduced in 1915, and yours was built during the first two years of manufacture.  The Amberola 30 will play 4 minute cylinder records made of celluloid ONLY.  Fortunately, these are commonly found as Edison Blue Amberol Records (note that "Amberola" refers to the machine, and "Amberol" refers to the record), 4 minute Indestructibles and 4 minute Everlastings.  Here's an article that will help you recognize them:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-antique-phonograph-operational-tips/

You need governor weights and governor springs (there are 2 on the Amberola 30).  I'd suggest calling Ron Sitko about these, as well as any other parts you may need:

Ron Sitko
56 Church Hill Road.
Waterford NY 12188
Telephone (518) 371-8549
(No web address.  Call weeknights after 7pm Eastern.)

Other reputable suppliers/repairmen you should know about:

http://wyattsmusical.com/

http://www.victroladoctor.com/

If you are in doubt about your mechanical ability, or if you don't have proper tools (a set of good quality small screwdrivers is a must), don't hesitate to send your entire mechanism (don't send the cabinet - just the mechanism) to one of these repairmen, and they will return it to you ready to go. 

Your reproducer is an Edison Diamond C, and you should not attempt to disassemble this unless you are familiar with these devices.  Let an expert do it and it can actually save you money.

Best of luck,

George P.

• Like 1

gordonplane

Hi George,

thanks - as an FYI Wyatt is taking a temporary respite as his wife had an accident. That's from his answering machine anyway.

Thanks Gordon.  I had heard Duane wasn't answering calls lately.  Here's hoping all turns out okay.

George P.