Zon-O-Phone registry/data collection??

Fran604g

In light of the ongoing Berliner registry, has a registry of Zon-O-Phones ever successfully been done?

Thanks,

Fran

I recall a website some years ago where they were attempting to show every known Zonophone, but as I remember the images were of various size and quality, and there was limited information on the site.  I don't even remember the name of the website.

Keep in mind the "Improved Gramophone" is a single model.  There were wide variety of Zonophone models over the brand's 12 years of life.  Perhaps beginning with one Zonophone model might be a worthwhile project.  For instance,  how about the "Parlor?"?

George P.

• Like 1

Hi George,

I recall seeing a website like you mention, I think it may have been European?  Yesterday I found the website of Mr. Gramophone (D. DiBernardo), but haven't yet processed (in my head) all the info I saw.

I was thinking the same in regard to the many models and their different iterations being a bit of a challenge. Especially early vs late production. Then, also the European machines, too. And the perhaps called "Columbia era" vs "Victor era".

If one was to concentrate on pre-1903 machines how complex do you think it would get? 

i.e.: could the Parlor be considered to just be a continuation of the early Type C, etc.?

How might the A, B, C, D types equate/not equate to the later Concert, Parlor, Home, etc.?

Maybe there's a big reason such a registry hasn't been tackled?

Cheers,

Fran