Columbia B Banner

I recently acquired a Columbia B ("Eagle") with a SN in the 115xxx range. The banner decal on the lid is missing the lower right fold back. I have not decided whether to replace the decal yet but was wondering which cities should be listed - New York, London, Paris (Munich-everyone's talking 'bout Pop Music - sorry, my wife's joke), etc. Thanks guys, I can't seem to find a picture of one with clear lettering.

I can't help but wonder why your decal is missing that lower right section.  This was where some retailers (including Sears, Roebuck, & Co.) applied their own markings.  It's possible that someone removed one of these retailer's decals.  I'd like to see a picture of yours.

An Eagle in that serial range should have a "Type 4" decal, as shown in an article in the September 2016 issue of the APS magazine.  Here's a picture of that decal:

George P.

Decal.thumb.JPG.4d0831f78ce0f7d068c06f5ef595c826.JPG

2 hours ago, phonogfp said:

I can't help but wonder why your decal is missing that lower right section.  This was where some retailers (including Sears, Roebuck, & Co.) applied their own markings.  It's possible that someone removed one of these retailer's decals.  I'd like to see a picture of yours.

George, Here is mine...

2 hours ago, phonogfp said:

IMG_0263.jpg

Tinfoilphono

I would wager there was a Sears paper label there, which at some point fell off -- taking the decal with it.

I agree with Rene.  The missing area is too well-defined for this to be random damage.  It's possible that the owner removed the marking as well.  If this were mine, I think I'd leave it as is - - it's certainly interesting!

Sears decals on an Eagle and a Q:

George P.

Sears.thumb.JPG.fdd5941d69284c5806b04c89e7f58365.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phonogfp said:

I agree with Rene.  The missing area is too well-defined for this to be random damage.  It's possible that the owner removed the marking as well.  If this were mine, I think I'd leave it as is - - it's certainly interesting!

Sears decals on an Eagle and a Q:

George,

You have confirmed my suspicions. I will not be changing this decal. One thing I have learned is not to make any changes until I know for sure.  Thx for the pix.

And yes, it is kind of cool.

David

10 hours ago, phonogfp said: