Happy Christmas Everyone!!!

36 minutes ago, Fran604g said:

Merry Christmas Bruce, and thank you for sharing your beautiful tree and home with us for another year!

Merry Christmas to you too Fran!

In the interest of full transparency, the photo is actually from a previous year.  We've not even purchased this year's tree yet.  Our tradition is to purchase, decorate in the week before Christmas.  A fresh tree is a good idea when decorating with candles.

• Like 1

Thanks to Bruce and David for sharing their Holiday-themed phonograph shots.  I'm astonished each year to see those lit candles on Bruce's tree!

Here's a shot of a Zonophone I acquired last month from the great-granddaughter of the original owner.  She was kind enough to give me some background information and a circa 1890 cabinet photo of him.  A collector friend who is talented with genealogy provided many more specifics, which, along with detailed pictures/history of the machine, will eventually appear in an article in The Antique Phonograph.  My wife Barbie (who apparently likes Zonophones) offered to let this one reside downstairs over Christmas!

I wish everyone a very happy and safe Holiday season!

George P.

ZonoCGXmas.thumb.JPG.fa82b88137696ad3ef5bc4a8b67af20c.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Thanks to Bruce and David for sharing their Holiday-themed phonograph shots.  I'm astonished each year to see those lit candles on Bruce's tree!

Here's a shot of a Zonophone I acquired last month from the great-granddaughter of the original owner.  She was kind enough to give me some background information and a circa 1890 cabinet photo of him.  A collector friend who is talented with genealogy provided many more specifics, which, along with detailed pictures/history of the machine, will eventually appear in an article in The Antique Phonograph.  My wife Barbie (who apparently likes Zonophones) offered to let this one reside downstairs over Christmas!

I wish everyone a very happy and safe Holiday season!

George P.

ZonoCGXmas.thumb.JPG.fa82b88137696ad3ef5bc4a8b67af20c.JPG

Wow beautiful Zonophone and great holiday picture George.  I look forward to seeing the article when it becomes available!

I recently acquired this original dealer sign, I thought it appropriate for this time of year. Merry Christmas, may 2021 be a better year than this one was.

Bill

DSC05517 (3).JPG

Most are familiar with Edison’s “Holiday Greetings from The Bunch at Orange” Diamond Disc recording issued to dealers in 1924.

What many may not know is that the moniker of “The Bunch at Orange” started long before 1924, to at least December 1919, when Edison issued this “A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to the big Edison bunch of the U.S.A. and Canada from the little Edison bunch at Orange”.

BaO1.thumb.png.4525ee4fd6abaac7a22b8d1c468f7242.png

BaO2.thumb.png.f5d134fbe7aaa7341f4a81a15f713a1e.png

BaO3.thumb.png.dce9081b7fe3c0c7a9f6fcfa633ee505.png

BaO4.thumb.png.a52666422f8a75b3dd629efd9d50bb63.png

BaO5.thumb.png.cc72e02a2f2304ab83baf0a7f2b558f3.png

BaO6.thumb.png.8eca35ac4dac1eff28983ab264aae542.png

BaO7.thumb.png.3b658d9e8bdcf6f45488ac8f6c786e8e.png

BaO8.thumb.png.3acd4c90bb0a9e9fe2475e58bd4fa772.png

• Like 3

What an interesting document!  Photos of many Edison luminaries I've never seen before - - and the timing was as ironic as that of the record 5 years later.  1920 would prove to be a disaster at Edison with huge inventories by year-end, and massive layoffs.  They couldn't have seen it coming in December 1919, when sales were booming.

Thanks for posting this fascinating and rare document, Rod - -

George P.

Yes, I know, Christmas is over.  I just found this going thru one of my storage boxes.

This is obviously a record sleeve / jacket from the Victrola Department of the Root Department Store, Vigo County, Terre Haute, Indiana.  The Root Department Store was founded by Chapman Root in 1896.  In 1901, Chapman also established the Root Glass Company, also located in Terre Haute and specialized in the manufacture of soda bottles.

In 1915, The Root Glass Company entered a contest, and won, the design and patent of the Coca Cola bottle.  Descendants of the family still receive royalty payments.

Just a piece of meaningless trivia you can thrill and bore your friends with at tonight’s masked, New Year’s Eve party.

root.thumb.png.6aa4902cb140b9bbad0315cb52c65f30.png

• Like 2