Jump to content

Please identify the title in announcement


Recommended Posts

phonoobsession
Posted

Hi,

I can't identify the title in the announcement of one of my a Columbia brown wax cylinders. It says:

"???? ???? ???? played on the orchestra bell for Columbia Phonograph Company of New York and London" (mp3 file attached)

I trust it is no problem for a native English speaking collector, right? Please let me know what it is. Thanks!!!

Cheers,
Helmut

 

Update: In another forum, someone suggested it could be "The Spanish Gavotte", but I can't find that title in any Columbia cylinder lists I have.

Posted

To my ear, the announcement, though indistinct, sounds as if it might be "The Spanish Gavotte," but a comparison with a recording of the same title, linked below, doesn't sound like the same piece, even allowing for the difference  in the instrumentation.

  

https://dn801309.us.archive.org/0/items/78_the-spanish-gavotte_sydney-thompsons-olde-tyme-dance-orchestra-david-caryll_gbia0509293b/THE SPANISH GAVOTTE - SYDNEY THOMPSON'S OLDE-TYME DANCE ORCHESTRA.mp3 

Tinfoilphono
Posted

It sounds to me like "The Fanny Gavotte."

phonoobsession
Posted

I found the answer - it is:

 

Columbia 12505 - Stephanie Gavotte

 

Thanks everyone for helping!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...