Repurposed Phono parts and accessories

KinetoGuy

A fun topic...I hope....

My wife got me these repurposed phono parts and accessories...

A needle tin turned into a case for a flash drive..I was wondering why she was excited about getting me a common Verona tin but she insisted I open it....

His and her cuffs old Victrola ID plates...she has worn hers......

I have also seen old phonograph horns turned into chandeliers/light fixtures....

Cylinder records turned into drinking glasses...

Cylinder record boxes turned into pencil holders

What does everyone else have or what have you seen

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

Really no offense meant, but I am not a friend of this kind of re-purposing. To me that is a bit too close to the white washing of phonographs to make them "shabby chic". While I completely understand that there are sometimes broken parts that would end in the trash otherwise, but if it's usable parts I always fear that somewhere a machine cannot be completed because of this missing part. The example I have is the horn of my Victor II. It had been re-purposed into a lamp for a pool table. The original elbow had been cut and destroyed for that and the inside had been painted some ugly cream color. Fortunately they had left the outside with the decals alone. I reversed the re-purposing, but of course the inside color will never completely match the original outside.

Andreas

2055161502_(KGrHqZHJE4E88eUTI5LBPpWJ1jlgw60_57.thumb.jpg.799134bcf9a49a21089225199797d6dc.jpgP1050777.thumb.JPG.df67acffd74b6dd17c9e364aa9e0e892.JPG

Edited by alang
  • Like 1

I completely agree....I am no friend of repurposing either...I do not like to see a perfectly good cylinder phonograph turned into a lamp, which I have seen done a couple of times with an Edison Standard......after my wife got me those 2 things I just thought it might be interesting just to see what others have come across...typically odds and ends parts someone found and incorporated into something as part of arts & crafts....

I have a horn on a Columbia I purchased as a steampunk lampshade, but the most absurd thing I saw was on eBay a while back. Edison Blue Amberols as tea light candle holders. Can you say "whoooosh, up go the curtains"?

Hmm interesting items the wife found. I have turned a non phonograph item into one! A needle box from a match box using old Victor sleeve so tattered and torn they could not be saved. I guess I hate to throw anything out so made needle boxes out of them. One is a Caruso box and another I have is Tetrazzini with Nipper on the reverse. 

needle box (1).JPG

needle box (2).JPG

• Like 1

Those matchboxes are cool...never seen anything like them....that was a win win, nothing destroyed and economizing on space.......amazing how little things like those matchboxes have survived for such a long time....

A columbia horn as a steampunk lampshade.... do you have a pix of that? Some of the steampunk things i have seen for sale on the internet and at craft shows are pretty wild ...

On 8/17/2020 at 7:04 PM, KinetoGuy said:

A columbia horn as a steampunk lampshade.... do you have a pix of that? Some of the steampunk things i have seen for sale on the internet and at craft shows are pretty wild ...

I wish I did but when I got it, it had been painted flat black inside and out (stupid to do to a lampshade) and the paint had a very sandy texture. Had to be stripped and repainted. Happily, there were no gears glued all over it.

After writing about repurposed phonograph parts, I am in Maine on holiday and today picked up a large brass  phonograph horn that was repurposed into a light fixture....at $60 I couldn't walk out of the antique shop without it and figured I could pair it up with my Class M....!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I told my wife I need an additional room in the house to fit everything and she told me, use the bathroom.....🤯

That didn't seem to work very well.....

.Bthrm1.thumb.jpg.ba3de1d8cb398e97e75c7a19f12b0e09.jpgBthrm2.thumb.jpg.99f001492d94b3309d113e4f12f4c472.jpg

After reading your post I looked at the horn.....one of the shower curtain hooks in the bathroom are missing and I thought ........

Turns out it wasn't a shower curtain hook...sigh...guess I still have to go to Target this weekend.

Hornring.thumb.jpg.412dc5e2dcf6df807cb15c76a3d1b76b.jpg